Page 237 of 304 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    In answer to your questions:

1. No. Having run a marathon this year you have proved that you are able to try new things.

2. Sadly, having read your posts for many years, I think the answer to this is 'Yes, to some degree'

The thing that concerns me, however, is the fact that there will be a financial cost. During my racing years I trained with two international runners, and also became good friends with the head coach at Tipton Harriers. All three of them offered good advice, and no financial reward was asked for.

Looking back, I can say that the 'advice' I have had to pay for in life has not been worth the cost, whilst some of the advice I have been given free of charge has been priceless. I therefore wonder if this offer is about making you faster, or making your prospective coach richer.
    That's all well and good if you're part of a huge, structured club like Tipton, Birchfield, Leeds City, even Cov Godiva.... you get that structure and quality of training if you want it, almost for free (well except for your yearly membership).

If you have to go outside of your club network for the coaching, then its just the way of the world that it comes with an additional cost.
    Last edited by Travs; 17-11-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That's all well and good if you're part of a huge, structured club like Tipton, Birchfield, Leeds City, even Cov Godiva.... you get that structure and quality of training if you want it, almost for free (well except for your yearly membership).

If you have to go outside of your club network for the coaching, then its just the way of the world that it comes with an additional cost.
    I should have pointed out that I was never a member of Tipton Harriers, (I met their head coach through work), or any club that could be referred to as huge or structured - none of my clubs had a coach, or were based at a track. I met one international runner through a friend, and the other I kept meeting whilst out training as they live near by. They both ran for different clubs to me.

It may be a Staffordshire thing, but people were happy to offer advice and discuss training free of charge around here. I'm not sure if that would have been the case if I'd been more of a threat to them, though.

I should have pointed out that I was never a member of Tipton Harriers...
    So just La Vie Claire?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I should have pointed out that I was never a member of Tipton Harriers, (I met their head coach through work), or any club that could be referred to as huge or structured - none of my clubs had a coach, or were based at a track. I met one international runner through a friend, and the other I kept meeting whilst out training as they live near by. They both ran for different clubs to me.

It may be a Staffordshire thing, but people were happy to offer advice and discuss training free of charge around here. I'm not sure if that would have been the case if I'd been more of a threat to them, though.
    The point is... someone who's living and source of income is coaching athletes, is clearly going to charge for that service, and i think that is perfectly reasonable.

Its fantastic if you can get that kind of advice and info through a network of clubs/friends (same applies to me!)

Master
    9.52 miles, 3,189 feet, 3 hours: Wansfell Pike, including the true top, and up and down the race route to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. A moderate breeze that seemed to come from multiple directions. No rain. Some of the rocks were dry, but the rest of the terrain was wet/saturated/slippery. Not many walkers about - there were a few on the steps - no other runners seen.

Normally I go from the Pike to the true top; today I did it the other way around. The steps down towards Troutbeck are being repaired, so they are a bit of a mess in places. I thought they were in reasonable nick, but clearly some think differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So just La Vie Claire?
    No, no, no Graham, in my dreams back then it was Bianchi-Piaggio, of course

Although I think you've rumbled where I get my fashion tips from!

In the interests of transparency, however, I should declare that many decades ago I rode for KJC Carpets, as did about 100 other skinny, spotty youths, as they sponsored one of the local cycle clubs. I've still got my long-sleeved top, and I even wore it last Sunday. I would describe it as seriously offensive on the eye, (which is saying something for me), in Green Shield Stamps-style colours (that's livid green and orange for younger readers). Very effective at getting you seen, just don't look in the mirror whilst wearing it.

No, no, no Graham, in my dreams back then it was Bianchi-Piaggio, of course

Although I think you've rumbled where I get my fashion tips from!

In the interests of transparency, however, I should declare that many decades ago I rode for KJC Carpets, as did about 100 other skinny, spotty youths, as they sponsored one of the local cycle clubs. I've still got my long-sleeved top, and I even wore it last Sunday. I would describe it as seriously offensive on the eye, (which is saying something for me), in Green Shield Stamps-style colours (that's livid green and orange for younger readers). Very effective at getting you seen, just don't look in the mirror whilst wearing it.
    My "best" top is the Mercatone Uno /Bianchi (see left) and the zip had always been a bit fragile until finally...

It cost £26 to replace (the zip) but today I had 50 miles to flaunt the jersey to the world again and close in on 2500 miles for the year ; and what price vanity?
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 18-11-2022 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    My "best" top is the Mercatone Uno /Bianchi (see left) and the zip had always been a bit fragile until finally...

It cost £26 to replace (the zip) but today I had 50 miles to flaunt the jersey to the world again and close in on 2500 miles for the year ; and what price vanity?
    Oh dear, Graham. This is going to hurt when I tell you that my Cinelli top (see left) cost £7-50 new, in the Geoffrey Butler Cycles January sale of 1992.

At the time I was cycling 21 miles a day to work, so I needed a lot of cheap tops. Two months later the company was restructured and the office moved to a walkable distance from my house. I then took up running 18 months later, so my many cycling tops have all lasted over 30 years.

Whilst I appreciate my Cinelli top is not to everyone's taste, it is the only piece of clothing I have ever owned that complete strangers have offered me cash for; one of whom would clearly have no chance of fitting into it. Every man has his price, and all that, but as no-one has yet offered me a Bianchi Oltre in exchange I still own, and occasionally wear, my Cinelli top.

I have a Steam Bunnies Tour de Galles "Dim Wibblio" top. Now that is class!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Whilst I appreciate my Cinelli top is not to everyone's taste, it is the only piece of clothing I have ever owned that complete strangers have offered me cash for; one of whom would clearly have no chance of fitting into it. Every man has his price, and all that, but as no-one has yet offered me a Bianchi Oltre in exchange I still own, and occasionally wear, my Cinelli top.
    I have always thought your Cinelli top is - particularly striking.