Page 248 of 304 FirstFirst ... 148198238246247248249250258298 ... LastLast
Results 2,471 to 2,480 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.68 miles, 2,937 feet, 2 hours 55 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including down the race route to the road at High Close and back up again. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. Occasional spells of sunshine. A few minutes of drizzle. A moderate wind from the west. Terrain dry/damp with good grip apart from the rocks. Lots of walkers on the fell, even on the minor paths. 2 other runners seen.

Master
    10.74 miles, 3,506 feet, 3 hours 33 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and an anti-clockwise loop taking in the true top. Overcast, no sunshine, most of the high tops were cloud free. No significant wind; no rain. Terrain mainly dry/damp with good grip. Lots of walkers on the fell - I overtook 8 groups ascending the steps to the Pike. No other runners seen.

Master
    8.74 miles, 2,908 feet, 3 hours 4 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including down the race route to the road at High Close and back up again. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. No sun, rain, nor wind. Terrain dry/damp with good grip. For a monday there were quite a few walkers about. No other runners seen.

Master
    10.84 miles, 3,375 feet, 3 hours 30 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Miller Bridge - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - High Bakestones - Scandale - Red Screes - Golden Rule - Ambleside. Overcast, with clouds above the high tops and mist in the valleys. Some sunlit areas in the distance. No rain. A moderate wind from the south. Terrain dry/damp with good grip. Not many walkers about; 2 other runners seen.

Several times now walkers have overtaken me as I go up the rock step and they go around it - there is no doubt the rock step is slower in ascent, albeit much more interesting.

Master
    6.31 miles, 2,237 feet, 2 hours 2 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including along the ridge to the true top, and up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate. Overcast - the cloud base was initially at about 2,500 feet, but it gradually came down to about 500 feet. More or less continuous drizzle. A moderately breeze from the south. Terrain damp with good grip. Very few walkers about; 1 other runner seen.

Master
    9.01 miles, 2,414 feet, 2 hours 40 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending via Fox Ghyll, going down the race route to the road at High close and back up again, before finally descending past the old golf club. Overcast, with cloud/fog to the valley floor in most places. Virtually constant mizzle. No wind. Terrain saturated and slippery. Not many walkers on the fell; no other runners seen.

I had been avoiding the Fox Ghyll ascent as the last time I did it it was like walking up a stream bed - it was more like a path today - it is a nice way on to the fell when it's not too wet.

Master
    9.37 miles, 3,276 feet, 3 hours 13 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and down to the top of Hundreds Road and back up again. Sunshine and high clouds, no rain, a moderate wind from the west. Terrain saturated and slippery. Lost of walkers about - I overtook 6 groups ascending the Wansfell steps. 2 other runners seen.

Given Storm Otto and the yellow warnings for wind elsewhere, I was surprised how "tame" the wind was.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post

Given Storm Otto and the yellow warnings for wind elsewhere, I was surprised how "tame" the wind was.
    The wind here was probably no more than Force 6, but it made the difference between running all the way up Beacon Hill and having to walk the steepish bit near the top (I had managed to run all the way up the steeper section lower down, where it is more sheltered).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    The wind here was probably no more than Force 6, but it made the difference between running all the way up Beacon Hill and having to walk the steepish bit near the top (I had managed to run all the way up the steeper section lower down, where it is more sheltered).
    Similar here. We had an email from Northern PowerGrid yesterday effectively warning us to batten down the hatches, but by this morning the barometer had only dropped an inch to 'changeable'. Later, the run onto the fells was blustery, but nothing untoward, even compared to the stormy weather before Xmas.

I had to smile at the storm being named "Otto', as is my friend's Norfolk Terrier, whose (the dog's) character is equally one of inflated grandeur, self-importance and who adores a hyped drama
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I had to smile at the storm being named "Otto', as is my friend's Norfolk Terrier, whose (the dog's) character is equally one of inflated grandeur, self-importance and who adores a hyped drama
    I was wondering why our first named storm of 2023 was named by the Danish Meteorological Office, especially as it travelled from West to East!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog