Page 253 of 304 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    A quick comparison:

OMM Kamleika: soft, silent, slightly stretchy, ideal on cold dry days. Takes ages to get the hood right so that it does not blow about in the wind. Not really waterproof - it slowly absorbs water like a reluctant sponge, and becomes quite heavy in the process, and then takes days to dry out. If it is raining your mid/base layers will get damp if not wet, though you will probably not get cold. Not really packable - if I no longer need it I tie it around my waist. The pocket zip is too close to the main zip - I have pulled the pocket zip down so often it has become damaged, despite never having actually used the pocket.

Shakedry: a bit rustly, genuinely waterproof, light, easily packable, a great hood, almost dry with a few shakes, wearable on consecutive wet days. When you take it off after a long run in the rain it is dry on the inside. If you could only have one top this would be the one.

Thanks Mike.

May I ask what size yours is, having noted, from another thread, that you weigh 63 kg?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Thanks Mike.

May I ask what size yours is, having noted, from another thread, that you weigh 63 kg?
    My Shakedry is medium, and it is snug, though I can fit 2 layers underneath it. My Kamleika is large, and is spacious.

Thanks guys. I've had a quick search and no medium sizes in shakedry anyway (or not at a sensible price) and most seem to be for cyclists sans hood. Gore website suggests they're researching an alternative, although they claimed 'supply' issues rather than admit recycling problems.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    7.69 miles, 2,190 feet, 2 hours 22 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including Fishgarths Wood, Todd and Ivy Crags, and Lily Tarn. Overcast/misty, with the cloud base at about 500 feet. Constant light/moderate rain. A moderate breeze from the south. Terrain streaming and very slippery. No snow/ice left at this level. I saw 3 walkers and no runners on the fell.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    A quick comparison:

OMM Kamleika: soft, silent, slightly stretchy, ideal on cold dry days. Takes ages to get the hood right so that it does not blow about in the wind. Not really waterproof - it slowly absorbs water like a reluctant sponge, and becomes quite heavy in the process, and then takes days to dry out. If it is raining your mid/base layers will get damp if not wet, though you will probably not get cold. Not really packable - if I no longer need it I tie it around my waist. The pocket zip is too close to the main zip - I have pulled the pocket zip down so often it has become damaged, despite never having actually used the pocket.

Shakedry: a bit rustly, genuinely waterproof, light, easily packable, a great hood, almost dry with a few shakes, wearable on consecutive wet days. When you take it off after a long run in the rain it is dry on the inside. If you could only have one top this would be the one.
    I like the thumb loops on the OMM Smock, but yes they let water in and don't pack down well.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    8.97 miles, 3,131 feet, 3 hours 10 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and down to the top of Hundreds Road and back up again. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 600 feet. Drizzle on and off, mainly off. A moderate breeze from the south. Terrain saturated/streaming/slippery. Nobody else seen on the fell, but then I did set off at 7 am.

Master
    10.12 miles, 3,086 feet, 3 hours 28 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including down the race route to the road at High Close, left along the road, and back up the steps opposite Loughrigg Tarn. Overcast, with banks of cloud at multiple levels. The sun kept threatening to appear, but never did. Intermittent mizzle/drizzle/light rain. A moderate breeze from the south. Terrain saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers about; 3 other runners seen.

Master
    11.05 miles, 4,118 feet, 4 hours 11 minutes: Travellers Rest - Winterseeds - Tongue Gill - Grisedale Tarn - ascending via the steps - Helvellyn - descending next to the steps - Seat Sandal - south ridge - Winterseeds - Travellers Rest. Overcast at first, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet; later, most of these lower clouds disappeared, leaving thin high clouds and weak sunshine. No precipitation. A moderate breeze from the south west. Terrain anything from damp to wet/saturated/streaming; grip very variable. Quite a few walkers about; only 1 other runner seen. Town and car parks very busy.

I only needed 2 layers top and bottom today - though I did have 2 pairs of gloves on.

Master
    8.73 miles, 2,527 feet, 2 hours 53 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Blue Hill Road - Wansfell steps - Wansfell Pike - top of Hundreds Road - Wansfell true top - Wanfsell Pike - High Skelghyll - Jenkin Crag - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 600 feet. A moderate breeze from the south east. Constant mizzle/drizzle, but not cold. Terrain saturated/streaming/slippery. Very few walkers about; 3 other runners seen, 2 of them AAC members.