Page 265 of 304 FirstFirst ... 165215255263264265266267275 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,650 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    For some amazing uphill running, watch this from about 1.54. The different running styles of the 2 leading women is interesting - upright, short frequent steps vs leaning forward, loping strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9TZydZDbE

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    For some amazing uphill running, watch this from about 1.54. The different running styles of the 2 leading women is interesting - upright, short frequent steps vs leaning forward, loping strides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9TZydZDbE

After a bit of a chat with a coupe of people at the inter-counties last month, I'm considering one or two European races next year... fancy the uphill races as it plainly suits my strengths! Have got myself validated by BMAF to allow me to run in the European/World Masters events.

The 2023 European Masters is next month in Switzerland and looks to be in a stunning location (Adelboden)..... but with prior commitments and the short notice, its not feasible... next year though sees the main races in Madeira and (most appealing) Spanish Pyrenees.

Master
    11.18 miles, 3,329 feet, 3 hours 42 minutes: Elterwater Common to Sergeant Man and back, taking in Silver How and Lang How on the way out, and Swinescar Pike and Blea Rigg both ways. Sunshine and high clouds, the latter a mixture of thin and fluffy. A nice breeze from the south east. No rain; terrain dry/very hard/good grip. Not many walkers about; 2 other runners seen. Car Parks busy.

Again I went down from Sergeant Man to the junction with Wainwright's small walled enclosure before going back up to Blea Rigg - it is a lovely descent, and almost all on grass.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    After a bit of a chat with a coupe of people at the inter-counties last month, I'm considering one or two European races next year... fancy the uphill races as it plainly suits my strengths! Have got myself validated by BMAF to allow me to run in the European/World Masters events.

The 2023 European Masters is next month in Switzerland and looks to be in a stunning location (Adelboden)..... but with prior commitments and the short notice, its not feasible... next year though sees the main races in Madeira and (most appealing) Spanish Pyrenees.
    One of my best holidays - I did it several times - flight to Switzerland - Sierre-Zinal race - train to Austria - Kitzbuelerhorn race - flight home. These days, if I were to repeat it, it would all be by train of course.

Master
    10.23 miles, 3,298 feet, 3 hours 5 minutes: Ambleside - Blue Hill Road - Wansfell Pike via the steps - Wansfell true top - north to the A592 - Kirkstone Inn - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Sunshine with high streaky clouds, a lovely breeze at times from no definite direction; terrain dry/very hard/good grip. Very few walkers about; the AAC Tuesday/Friday group - about 8 of them - were setting off up the other side of the valley as I was going up to Red Screes - there was another runner ahead of me going up the Wansfell steps.

For the first time ever I managed - easily - to go from Wansfell true top to the A592 with dry feet.

I have put some photos on FB of the descent route I take from Red Screes.

I love that climb up Red Screes from the Inn (as much as anyone can love a 20 minute slog anyway).

Forms a part of my favourite Lakes route of all.... the high-level route of the Hodgson Brothers Relay from Patterdale.... Patterdale-Boredale Hause-High Street-Thornthwaite Crag-Caudale Moor-Kirkstone-Red Screes-Dove Crag-Fairfield-Cofa Pike-St Sunday Crag-Patterdale

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I love that climb up Red Screes from the Inn (as much as anyone can love a 20 minute slog anyway).
    There is just one short section I do not like, especially if it is wet, or even worse, icy. About three quarters of the way up there is a rock step that slopes the wrong way and hand holds and foot placements are few and far between. It was on this route, though not necessarily on this section, that a mountain rescuer fell and sustained severe injuries in February 2021.

Master
    11.96 miles, 3,154 feet, 3 hours 33 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from/to Ambleside, taking the 1st 2nd and 4th trods to the left/west on the way up, staying mostly on the non race side of the wall on the descent, and going down the rock step. Sunshine and a mixture of fluffy and streaky clouds, all of them above the high tops. No rain. A very welcome breeze from the east. Terrain dry/very hard/good grip. Not many walkers about; I saw about 8 other runners.

Nab Scar was again hard work - all in the sun, and no breeze at that level. From the descent ridge Buckstone's Jump looked inviting, and not too busy.

Master
    12.78 miles, 3,616 feet, 4 hours 5 minutes: Ambleside - Low Sweden Bridge - Buckstone's Jump - High Pike - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Sunshine and a mixture of high clouds; a few minutes of drizzle; a lovely breeze from the south east. Terrain mainly dry/hard/good grip, though there were some sizeable puddles from overnight rain. Not many walker about; 6 other runners seen.

There were 6 tents at Buckstone's Jump. As far as I could tell they had not made too much mess - there was "only " a few drinks cans and some cigarette butts.

Master
    8.94 miles, 2,372 feet, 2 hours 58 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending via Clappersgate, Fishgarths Wood, and Todd Crag, going down the race route from the top to the road at High Close and up the steps opposite Loughrigg Tarn, and down the juniors' race route next to the wall to the little wooden bridge. Sunshine and thin high clouds, hazy in the distance, no rain, a gentle breeze from the south. Terrain dry/very hard/good grip. Not many walkers on the fell; 3 other runners seen.

This was the hottest run so far this year - even the slightest gradient was unrunnable. As for those steps up to the top opposite Loughrigg Tarn - no fun at all.