Page 268 of 304 FirstFirst ... 168218258266267268269270278 ... LastLast
Results 2,671 to 2,680 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    8.73 miles, 913 feet, 1 hour 37 minutes: Drunken Duck loop - so all on tarmac. Overcast and misty, the cloud base was at about 1,500 feet. Virtually continuous drizzle/light rain - not cold, waterproof not needed. Very few walkers about; no other runners seen.

This was my longest continuous run - and shortest outing - for a long time.

Master
    10.09 miles, 2,558 feet, 3 hours 9 minutes: Loughrigg trails, ascending/descending via Fishgarths Wood, Todd Crag and Lily Tarn, going down the race route to the road at High Close, through the Arboretum a couple of times, and up the steps opposite Loughrigg Tarn. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 800 feet, so I was in cloud/mist a lot of the time. Intermittent drizzle. Terrain damp/wet with slippery rocks. A moderate breeze from the south west. I saw about 30 walkers whilst out; no other runners seen.

Master
    9.42 miles, 2,656 feet, 2 hours 49 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including along the ridge to the true top, up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and from the kissing gate across the stream and then the field to Grove Barn Cafe. Sunshine and high fluffy clouds, mainly the latter. A few minutes of drizzle. Terrain mainly dry with good grip. A moderate breeze from the south west. Very few walkers about; no other runners seen.

The race descent from the Pike is still very viable.

Master
    8.7 miles, 2,726 feet, 2 hours 42 minutes: Wansfell Pike - a similar route to yesterday, the main difference being that I did the true top/ridge loop the other way around. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,000 feet, so I was often in cloud/mist. Intermittent drizzle/light rain. The rocks in particular were wet and slippery. A moderately strong wind from the south. Very few walkers about; no other runners seen.

When I took my top off at home I noticed my nipples had been bleeding. It has been years if not decades since this last happened. There was no discomfort at any stage. The top in question does have a slightly rough weave, and I did feel a bit colder than normal. Body glide tomorrow!

Run/rest has certainly helped - I ran a whole section today where I used to run/walk two or three times.

Master
    12.01 miles, 1,291 feet, 2 hours 34 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Clappersgate - Wray Castle - Coffin Trail - High Wray - Wray Castle - Clappersgate - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the clouds obscuring some of the high tops. Misty in the distance. Intermittent drizzle; no significant wind at this level. Terrain wet - the rocks on the Coffin Trail in particular were very slippery. Quite a few walkers and cyclists near the lake. One other runner seen.

Apart from the Coffin Trail ascent this is a very runnable route - I was pleased to run 11.5 miles of it.
    Last edited by Mike T; 01-07-2023 at 09:46 PM.

Master
    12.33 miles, 3,717 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: Ambleside - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - Roundhill Farm - Ambleside. Overcast, with most of the clouds above the high tops, misty in the distance. Intermittent drizzle/light rain; a surprisingly cold wind from the north west. Terrain anything from damp to saturated; slippery in places. I saw about a dozen walkers on the fells, and four other runners.

The second path on the left heading towards the rock step is not yet blocked by bracken - it starts not far beyond the first path, where the main track transiently levels out and goes slightly downhill.

Above the rock step I stayed mainly on the west side of the wall until beyond High Pike - then I swapped to the east side to keep out of the wind.

Master
    11.04 miles, 2,424 feet, 3 hours 11 minutes: Loughrigg trails, including down the race route to the road at High Close, left along the road, and back up the steps opposite Loughrigg Tarn. Sunshine and high clouds; a moderate breeze from the north west. A few minutes of drizzle. Terrain dry/damp/wet with good grip. Lots of walkers on the fell, some in large groups. One other runner seen - in the valley.

More and more of the paths are being blocked by bracken - lots of u-turns as a result.

Master
    12.01 miles, 3,526 feet, 3 hours 59 minutes: Ambleside - Blue Hill Road/Lane - kissing gate at the bottom of the Wansfell Pike steps - across the field to Grove Barn - Roundhill Farm - Red Screes - Scandale - Dove Crag - High Pike - Low Pike - around the rock step - High Sweden Bridge - Sweden Bridge Lane - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. Drizzle on and off - more on than off. A moderate wind from the south. Terrain damp/wet/saturated - the rocks in particular were very slippery. Not many walkers on the fells. No other runners seen.

I wore a winter mid-layer top - it was just right for the conditions.

Master
    18.25 miles, 6,583 feet, 7 hours 28 minutes: The Hodgson '4'. Sunshine and clouds; Fairfield was in cloud/mist, the other tops I went to were cloud free. A few minutes of drizzle; the wind from the south west was strong at times, and cold. Terrain dry/damp/wet; the rocks of course were slippery if wet. Not many walkers about. I saw half a dozen runners in the valleys, and one on the fells.

I really enjoyed this - it is a great route. As usual when out I took no food nor water, but did not need them - it would have been very different if it was hot.

The descents from Cofa Pike and from the Beacon needed care, but they need care even when conditions are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    18.25 miles, 6,583 feet, 7 hours 28 minutes: The Hodgson '4'. Sunshine and clouds; Fairfield was in cloud/mist, the other tops I went to were cloud free. A few minutes of drizzle; the wind from the south west was strong at times, and cold. Terrain dry/damp/wet; the rocks of course were slippery if wet. Not many walkers about. I saw half a dozen runners in the valleys, and one on the fells.

I really enjoyed this - it is a great route. As usual when out I took no food nor water, but did not need them - it would have been very different if it was hot.

The descents from Cofa Pike and from the Beacon needed care, but they need care even when conditions are excellent.
    Is this the Hodgson route but without the drops to valley changeovers?

I did this, but without going to all the race checkpoints such as the cairn on St Raven's edge.... it is my favourite route in the Lakes, in fact along with Snowdon Horseshoe, my favourite route anywhere.

I think i went round in about 4hrs45 although i was pushing fairly hard at that pace.