Page 281 of 304 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,810 of 3035

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    11.67 miles, 3,556 feet, 3 hours 53 minutes: Ambleside - Rydal Park - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - Scandale - Red Screes - south ridge - Roundhill farm - Ambleside. Lots of sunshine, and high fluffy clouds mainly above the high tops. A moderately strong cold wind from the north. No rain. Terrain dry/damp apart from the drainage areas, which were saturated and slippery. Not many walkers about, though there was a group of about 10 at the top of Red Screes; 2 runners seen.

Master
    12.37 miles, 3,422 feet, 4 hours 14 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from/to Ambleside, going over the tops on the ascent, staying on the race/east side of the wall on the descent, and going down the rock step. Initially there were banks of cloud at multiple levels - very picturesque - together with intermittent drizzle; later the rain stopped, the low clouds melted away, and it became quite sunny. A moderate breeze from the west. Terrain wet/saturated/streaming and very slippery. Quite a few walkers on the fell; 10 runners seen, including a group of 5 going over Hart Crag.

Even the normally good path below the rock step was very slippery.

Master
    10.18 miles, 2,810 feet, 3 hours 15 minutes: Wansfell Pike twice from the Troutbeck side, including along the ridge to the true top, and down the race route to the kissing gate. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet. A few patches of blue sky. No rain. A moderate breeze from the east. Terrain anything from dry to wet/saturated/streaming and slippery in places. Lots of walkers on the fell - it is half term holidays of course; no runners seen.

Master
    12.02 miles, 3,215 feet, 4 hours: A variation on the Loughrigg Silver How race route, going out via Clappersgate, Fishgarths Wood, Todd Crag and Lily Tarn, and ascending to Loughrigg top the second time via the steps overlooking Grasmere. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. A moderate breeze from the east. A few minutes of drizzle. Terrain damp/wet/saturated and slippery. Quite a few walkers on Loughrigg, but I was by myself on Silver How. 1 runner seen.

Master
    12.04 miles, 3,572 feet, 4 hours 8 minutes: Ambleside - Rydal Park - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - Dove Crag - Scandale - Red Screes - south ridge - Golden Rule - Ambleside. Overcast, with cloud banks at multiple levels - I was in one from Low Pike until descending from Red Screes. A moderate breeze from the north. A few minutes of drizzle. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. Not many walkers about; 2 runners seen.

I took the Hodgson Relay trod south west of Dove Crag to the pile of stones, then came back over Dove Crag before descending to Scandale.

Master
    10.4 miles, 3,015 feet, 3 hours 24 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up the race route steps from the kissing gate, and back along the ridge from the true top. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,500 feet. Virtually constant drizzle/light rain. Terrain wet/saturated/streaming/slippery. A moderate breeze from the north east. Quite a few walkers on the fell, despite the conditions; 2 runners seen, 1 in the valley, another I saw twice on/near the ridge.

Master
    12.41 miles, 3,470 feet, 4 hours 11 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe clockwise from Ambleside. Initially overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,000 feet, and misty below that. Later, some of the clouds lifted and there were some brief episodes of sunshine. A few minutes of drizzle. A moderate breeze from the east. Terrain wet/saturated/streaming/slippery. Very few walkers on the fells; 1 other runner seen.

I went over the tops on the ascent, kept to the race/east side of the wall on the descent, and went down the rock step. I took what I regard as the race line on the descent - lots of wet steep slippery grass - but the rockier alternative closer to the wall is just as slippery.

Master
    10.45 miles, 3,033 feet, 3 hours 17 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up the race route steps from the kissing gate, and along the ridge to the true top. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,600 feet; some banks of cloud below that. A few minutes of drizzle. A moderate breeze from the south east. Terrain saturated and slippery. Quite a few walkers on the Pike; 3 runners seen, 2 in the valley and 1 on the fell.

I again did some run/rest up some of the hills - it has helped me to run all the way up a couple hills where I used to run/walk.

Master
    12.02 miles, 3,093 feet, 3 hours 56 minutes: Loughrigg trails, going out and back via Clappersgate and Fishgarths Wood, taking the race route from the top to the road at High Close, and re-ascending via the steps overlooking Grasmere. Overcast, with the cloud base initially at about 1,000 feet, later it was probably twice that, and there was some weak sunshine. No rain, no significant wind, the terrain was wet/saturated and slippery. Lots of walkers about, more than I have seen for some time. 7 runners seen.

Lots of cyclists on the roads, which made me suspect there is an event on.

Master
    14 miles, 3,918 feet, 4 hours 20 minutes: Ambleside to Sour Howes/Sallows and back, going out via Skelghyll Lane, and coming back over Wansfell Pike. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 2,500 feet. A strong cold wind from the north east. Intermittent inconsequential drizzle. Terrain wet/saturated/slippery. Lots of walkers about; no runners seen.