Page 294 of 305 FirstFirst ... 194244284292293294295296304 ... LastLast
Results 2,931 to 2,940 of 3046

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Really nice at Loughrigg Tarn.

My first ever visit to the Lakes, aged 15 or 16 we stayed in a cabin at Neaum Crag. Every morning i'd go up to the outcrop above the site (probably Little Loughrigg) and watch the mist rising out of the Brathay/Elterwater valley, then do a circuit of the tarn.

My first fell walks.... Loughrigg, Pike O Blisco, Catbells - High Spy (i remember throwing a massive strop because my mum and dad said i was too young to continue on the entire Newlands Horseshoe on my own, and had to retrace my steps all the way back to Catbells)

The excitement of getting my first pair of proper walking boots in Ambleside
    Loughrigg Tarn is a lovely spot, and it can cope with quite a few people without becoming unpleasant. Unfortunately Chesters down at Skelwith Bridge - lovely cafe that it is - often becomes far too busy for its own good.

Master
    10.22 miles, 3,452 feet, 3 hours 21 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, down to the upper part of Nanny Lane, up to the true top, and back along the ridge to the Pike. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,200 feet. Almost constant drizzle/light rain. A moderately strong wind from the south west. Terrain wet/saturated and slippery. I saw 4 walkers and 1 runner on the fell.

There are 4 brief sections on the race descent that I usually avoid as they are so steep, but on my last 2 descents I have gone down them without slipping - great grip from the Mudtalons.

Master
    10.42 miles, 3,133 feet, 3 hours 14 minutes: Loughrigg - Silver How race route, except I started/finished at Rothay Bridge before going along to/coming back from Miller Bridge. Sunshine and high clouds, a moderate breeze from the west, no rain, terrain dry/damp/wet and slippery in places. Quite a few walkers on the fells; 4 runners seen.

The cut-off for the first visit to Loughrigg top is 35 minutes - it took me 38 - oh dear.

Master
    10.84 miles, 3,012 feet, 3 hours 15 minutes: Rothay Bridge - Under Loughrigg - Fox Ghyll - Loughrigg top - race descent to the road at High Close - Deerbolts Woods - Grasmere shore - White Moss - Loughrigg Terrace - up the steps overlooking Grasmere to Loughrigg top again - Lily Tarn - Miller Bridge - Rothay Park - Rothay Bridge. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,500 feet. Intermittent drizzle/light rain, a strong wind from the west, terrain wet/saturated/slippery. Not many walkers on the fell; lots of runners seen as the Loughrigg Silver How Chase was taking place.

I saw a couple of people make poor route choices on the way to Lily Tarn. That part of the race is worth a decent recce.

Master
    10.7 miles, 3,559 feet, 3 hours 42 minutes: Ambleside - Rydal Park - Low Sweden Bridge - rock step - Low/High Pikes - High Bakestones - Scandale - High Sweden Bridge - back up to under the rock step - Low Sweden Bridge - Rydal park - Ambleside. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,800 feet. Almost constant drizzle/light rain. A very strong blustery wind from the south west - so I ascended on the east/race side of the wall. Terrain wet/saturated/slippery. I only saw 3 walkers on the fells - 1 above High Pike and 2 in Rydal Park; no runners seen.

The wind was the main weather feature today - it was funnelling up Scandale as I descended - I was not really "out" of it until below 1,100 feet.

Scandale instantly recognisable on your photos, by that undulating track with a wall either side.

One of my favourite short routes is a quick run up Scandale, sharp climb to Red Screes then down the ridge and road back to Ambleside.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Scandale instantly recognisable on your photos, by that undulating track with a wall either side.

One of my favourite short routes is a quick run up Scandale, sharp climb to Red Screes then down the ridge and road back to Ambleside.
    A good variation on that is to start off by doing the last bit of the Rydal Round in reverse to the rock step, and then going down to High Sweden Bridge to join the normal Scandale route.

Master
    10.14 miles, 3,132 feet, 3 hours 18 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and down to the top of Nanny Lane and back up to the Pike. Overcast, with the cloud base mostly above the high tops. A few minutes of drizzle when I set off, but it did not last. A moderate breeze from the north west. Terrain saturated and slippery. Quite a few walkers on the fell; 1 runner seen down in the valley.

Master
    11.57 miles, 3.021 feet, 3 hours 40 minutes: Loughrigg trails, taking in Todd and Ivy Crags, Lily Tarn, the race descent to the road at High Close, Deerbolts Woods, Grasmere shore, Loughrigg Terrace, and the steps to the top overlooking Grasmere. Overcast, with most of the high tops cloud free most of the time. No wind nor rain. Terrain damp/wet and slippery in places. There were some small patches of easily avoided ice above 500 feet. Lots of walkers, mainly on the lower paths. 1 runner seen.

Master
    9.18 miles, 2,767 feet, 2 hours 56 minutes: Wansfell Pike from 2 sides, including up/down the race route from/to the kissing gate, and down Nanny Lane to Troutbeck and back up again. Overcast, with the cloud base at about 1,000 feet. Constant drizzle/light rain/light sleet/light snow. A strong wind from the south. There was a snow line forming at about 600 feet, with 5-10 centimetres of snow on the Wansfell ridge. The ground was very wet/saturated where not snow covered. Very slippery in places. I saw 2 walkers and no runners on the fell.

Today was a good test for my new Montane Spirit Lite trousers. They certainly kept me warm and almost dry. The only negative is that they are rather baggy.