Page 40 of 78 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 773

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

  1. #391
    Master Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post


    Tell me : how is someone in a car in an open place compromising social distance?
    They’re not, but what do you not understand about stay at home???? it’s not hard, as for you not gracing the Lake District tills with your endless supply of cash post Covid crisis I’m sure that most people couldn’t give a toss.

  2. #392
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/...astbourne-bury


    So South Lakeland has a pretty high median age - 67.9 - vs 40 for the rest of the country.

    As to going to second homes - most experts disagree with you. You would be mixing with different people, so risking spreading and getting infection, and when you return "home" you will take anything you pick up with you.
    The idea is that those returning to second homes would do less mixing because of greater social distance.

    As for experts disagreeing, if there is a feature of this it is that experts all disagree with each other , indeed as the editor of lancet proves, he disagrees with himself. You cannot reconcile the imperial and oxford models: how is it all seem to want the right to then say the government has it wrong, when they can’t agree amongst themselves?

    With that as background, I have no issue with the disagreements. This is new world experience.but Clearly social distance matters, so going to second homes ( for long stay, not commuting) is just as valid as any argument against.

    But the resources of the lakes are under-utilised, it must be quieter than even in winter low occupancy.

    At least one esteemed member here is a week city commmuter, and has residences both ends. So which end do you advise him to stay? The country or the city?
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-04-2020 at 12:34 PM.

  3. #393
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    They’re not, but what do you not understand about stay at home???? it’s not hard, as for you not gracing the Lake District tills with your endless supply of cash post Covid crisis I’m sure that most people couldn’t give a toss.
    You did read where I said I obey the law? My problem is policemen making it up.

    All are in a difficult position, but the communities that are defacing second homes of those equally entitled to be there,( yes it is happening particularly in Scotland, places are even being torched) in my view deserve to be shunned when this is over: it is they to whom I refer as insulting others.
    Last edited by Oracle; 10-04-2020 at 12:42 PM.

  4. #394
    Master Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    The idea is that those returning to second homes would do less mixing because of greater social distance.

    As for experts disagreeing, if there is a feature of this it is that experts all disagree with each other , indeed as the editor of lancet proves, he disagrees with himself. You cannot reconcile the imperial and oxford models: how is it all seem to want the right to then say the government has it wrong, when they can’t agree amongst themselves?

    With that as background, I have no issue with the disagreements. This is new world experience.but Clearly social distance matters, so going to second homes ( for long stay, not commuting) is just as valid as any argument against.

    But the resources of the lakes are under-utilised, it must be quieter than even in winter low occupancy.

    At least one esteemed member here is a week city commmuter, and has residences both ends. So which end do you advise him to stay? The country or the city?
    The city permanently

  5. #395
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    The city permanently
    So you prefer he/she is at greater risk! It will be interesting If he/she decides to own up, since they are presently in the country. With city prices it is hard to afford more than a bed in a box, for most who live there, which is existing not living during the week.

  6. #396
    Master Daletownrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Out Running
    Posts
    1,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    So you prefer he/she is at greater risk! It will be interesting If he/she decides to own up, since they are presently in the country. With city prices it is hard to afford more than a bed in a box, for most who live there, which is existing not living during the week.
    I would prefer that he/ she stuck to the rules like the majority of other people, whether they’re in the country or in the city doesn’t matter as long as they don’t think that because they have two homes that it’s ok to do what they want and flit between the two. In the grand scheme of things I would prefer that they didn’t have a second home anywhere thereby pushing up prices in whatever area they choose to play and preventing local young people from being able to buy property in their local area but that’s another argument.

  7. #397
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    2,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I would prefer that he/ she stuck to the rules like the majority of other people, whether they’re in the country or in the city doesn’t matter as long as they don’t think that because they have two homes that it’s ok to do what they want and flit between the two. In the grand scheme of things I would prefer that they didn’t have a second home anywhere thereby pushing up prices in whatever area they choose to play and preventing local young people from being able to buy property in their local area but that’s another argument.
    "Like"

  8. #398
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    2,549
    Whilst I probably wouldn't make the point as vociferously as our good friend Oracle... He does have a point about the hostility of some of the rural communities towards outsiders...

    Whilst I completely understand the concerns of the people of Cumbria, Snowdonia, etc... vandalism and threats are not the way to go about getting the message across.... Nethier is graffiti instructing people to "f**k off home, we're closed".

    People will remember. Fortunately most of us will realise that every community has their morons... But some (Oracle for example) may well take it to heart... And the likes of Cumbria and Snowdonia will soon want everybody back again if their economies are on their arse due to a potential lost summer of tourism.

  9. #399
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I would prefer that he/ she stuck to the rules like the majority of other people, whether they’re in the country or in the city doesn’t matter as long as they don’t think that because they have two homes that it’s ok to do what they want and flit between the two. In the grand scheme of things I would prefer that they didn’t have a second home anywhere thereby pushing up prices in whatever area they choose to play and preventing local young people from being able to buy property in their local area but that’s another argument.
    I have not heard of evidence of flitting, nor have I defended it, So that is a straw man.
    Much of the working population of London commutes from significant distance, or they get a small weekly bed sit.
    They keep their sanity by going home at weekends. It is easy to judge others on a life you don’t know.

    Many ( sensibly) wanted to live out the crisis in the country where they have legitimate reason to be, and are being turned away,or facing open hostility, and in some cases worse. It is wrong,

    I don’t have a uk second home, and I can’t speak for the rights and wrongs of that, I do get The argument, and byelaws can help address it,

    However I do think those who do own them, have just as much right to live in them as the resident next door.

  10. #400
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    957
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Whilst I probably wouldn't make the point as vociferously as our good friend Oracle... He does have a point about the hostility of some of the rural communities towards outsiders...

    Whilst I completely understand the concerns of the people of Cumbria, Snowdonia, etc... vandalism and threats are not the way to go about getting the message across.... Nethier is graffiti instructing people to "f**k off home, we're closed".

    People will remember. Fortunately most of us will realise that every community has their morons... But some (Oracle for example) may well take it to heart... And the likes of Cumbria and Snowdonia will soon want everybody back again if their economies are on their arse due to a potential lost summer of tourism.
    I should have said travs, I referred primarily to the open hostility in Scotland, which in places has morphed into vigilante action : it is serious and I think in part fuelled by unhelpful statements of sturgeon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •