Page 45 of 304 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

I suspect Mr B that although you are completely correct and rights of way should not be obstructed or closed, there will be few people in authority willing to do anything about it in the current climate.

I had a farmer approach me today as I passed through a gate. He was chuntering on about runners and walkers touching his gates and how he had to wash his hands 20 times a day. I didn’t think there was any point arguing with him about it. As you say, there are a lot of people who are very fearful.

Banned
    Alas it is the same authorities unlawfully and unreasonably closing parks.

TPE a five round fields dodging attempts to close footpaths!

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I suspect Mr B that although you are completely correct and rights of way should not be obstructed or closed, there will be few people in authority willing to do anything about it in the current climate.

I had a farmer approach me today as I passed through a gate. He was chuntering on about runners and walkers touching his gates and how he had to wash his hands 20 times a day. I didn’t think there was any point arguing with him about it. As you say, there are a lot of people who are very fearful.

Todays PDE was a 50 mile and 4,400 feet bike ride around the Dove and Manifold Valleys. A few solo cyclists about but other than that very quiet. An absolutely glorious day and I didn't realise it was as hot as it was until I stopped on getting home!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I was considering a duathlon for tommorrow; so a bike leg out to a run, and a bike leg back. I thought i'd better recce the run leg start point as there have been reports on here of local vigilante action around the Washburn Valley. This is what i found:

Rights of way obstructed by means of improvised metal gates and galv fencing, unofficial notices stating that the locals have taken the decision to close the ROW. During my discussion with the landowner another local turned up in a VW camper and stated he intends to turn the dogs on anyone who uses public rights of way through his farmyard. It is an offence to obstruct a public right of way.

I've reported it to North Yorks County Council, it is a County matter not a Borough or Parish matter because it concerns a right of way which comes under 'Transport', and transport matters seem to be the responsibility of County Councils. You have to download a form and email it in, it's a bit of a faff and you need to know the name of the Parish the area falls under, visit the site https://www.achurchnearyou.com/ to determine which parish you are in. The police have said that it is nothing to do with them, i rang them also.

I think in principle unlawful obstruction of rights of way needs challenging. These lot are ganging together and acting from a position of mob rule. The guys cat came to say hello to me while i was there; as i bent down to stroke it he went nuts saying i could transmit the virus to the cat! What i saw was a man crippled by fear and acting out of desperation, part of me wished i could release him from this torture.
    The police should be involved because there is threatening behaviour. People have records for non-crime hate incidents (@WeAreFairCop if you want to find out more) and yet if someone is threatening perfectly legal passers by with his dogs....
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Big contrast with Burnbanks where the local residents have posted polite notices asking people not to run through the settlement and have signposted an alternative route which is actually nicer to run along.

that is a disgrace... fair play Mr Brightside, you have much better diplomatic skills than me... i'd be hard pushed not to start swinging for the (metal) fences if someone started dropping veiled threats like that.

social media continues to astound... today one of my "friends" tagged me in something, informing me that i had 24 hours to post a photo of myself, or make a £30 donation to charity... who the hell do these people think they are?!?!

Master
    9.48 miles/2,750 ft/2 hours 20 minutes over and around Loughrigg. My Garmin failed to record it, but luckily it was virtually identical to 2 days ago, and I did look at my watch as I stopped it. Normally this would really irritate me, but in the scheme of things ....

No "closed" gates or paths locally that I have found, and some gates tied open which is nice.
    My partner's walk was up to High Sweden Bridge - again, no problems with gates/paths.

Banned
    The closing of paths and parks seems concentrated in places that don’t have many to begin with, so have - rightly - attracted more visitors. Many of them here are working arable farms, so no excuse for not leaving gates open instead of banning visitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    9.48 miles/2,750 ft/2 hours 20 minutes over and around Loughrigg. My Garmin failed to record it, but luckily it was virtually identical to 2 days ago, and I did look at my watch as I stopped it. Normally this would really irritate me, but in the scheme of things ....

No "closed" gates or paths locally that I have found, and some gates tied open which is nice.
    My partner's walk was up to High Sweden Bridge - again, no problems with gates/paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The police should be involved because there is threatening behaviour. People have records for non-crime hate incidents (@WeAreFairCop if you want to find out more) and yet if someone is threatening perfectly legal passers by with his dogs....
    I warned you Mr B! This is at the end of Lindley Reservoir. I am completley against this and feel that he is in no danger and just taking the law into his own hands - vigilante action. His land is a tip and his animals are not best treated. I'm keeping away from it to avoid conflict but am totaly against it.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    I warned you Mr B! This is at the end of Lindley Reservoir. I am completley against this and feel that he is in no danger and just taking the law into his own hands - vigilante action. His land is a tip and his animals are not best treated. I'm keeping away from it to avoid conflict but am totaly against it.
    So not Gareth Southgate's patch then?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".