Page 51 of 300 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    9.52 miles, 2,700 ft, 2 hours 19 minutes; around on the minor road to Troutbeck, up Nanny Lane to Wansfell true top, along the ridge - almost dry! - to Wansfell Pike, down the race route a couple of times. Wow, what perfect conditions.

Banned
    Gentle outing around bridleways where girlfriend use to ride her horses. Easier on a horseback than bike.

Today's PDE was a gentle 4 miles run around some local fields with my son. Nothing of note to report other than the ground is so dry that cracks are appearing. We need some rain!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Yesterday was a walk round local farm tracks.
    There were far more people on the track than the M6, almost impossible to distance.

It really is a concern : too many dog owners letting dogs off leads that mix, then the separation of dogs inevitably involves touching both. Defeats the object.

Banned
    8k on the bike, all hills, lovely morning.

Went up the hill to the standing stone, about 61/2 miles and over 1000ft. Legs were not functioning after yesterday's ride so walk up and jogging on the flat and down.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    7 miles , 66 minutes, 180 ft, around the fields near the Roman ruins. Quite a few out walking today, so I had to keep changing course. Some picnickers as well, right next to the paths. I saw no litter at all, and even more gates are now tied open, so I did not have to touch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    too many dog owners letting dogs off leads that mix, then the separation of dogs inevitably involves touching both. Defeats the object.
    agree - today also had issues - dogs on leads would be a good move until this is over, and not those that extend to 20m!
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

first run since 27/3 but I've done close to 200 miles of walking in between.

3 1/4 mile, 27:48 around Witton and quite happy with a 8:34 pace after a long day out yesterday.

Had my first encounters with some of the local pond life today during lock down.

Took the road route in to Witton to avoid running down the narrow track I usually take to enable keeping the requisite gap.
    On arriving at the main gates which are shut to keep the card out, I encountered pond life No1 stood in the 5ft wide entrance, with headphones on, messing with his phone.
    I stopped, he didn't bat an eyelid.
    "Do you think you can step back please to let me through?
    "Take a chill pill mate!"
    He still stood there.
    I asked again, received a scowl, and he stepped aside.

A minute later, I approached 4 lads spread across a 4-5 metre wide road walking in the same direction with a pit-bull off lead.
    I picked the best line, probably just about keeping a 2m gap.

Dog comes pelting towards me, I stopped.

Owner starts shouting at dog.

I took a step back and prepared to kick hard if I had to, but stepped back in to one of the lads.

"Relax mate, calm down a little"

"I'm relaxed, at least as relaxed as someone would be when a pitbull is coming at you".

He got hold of the dog.

"It might be a good idea to pop the lead on it. There's others in the park.

On I went.

After a couple of hundred yards I turned right on to a field and started running up almost parallel to the road, noting the 4 lads walking as a group across the field towards me, but at a distance.

Dog still off lead :/
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Took the road route in to Witton to avoid running down the narrow track I usually take to enable keeping the requisite gap.
    On arriving at the main gates which are shut to keep the card out, I encountered pond life No1 stood in the 5ft wide entrance, with headphones on, messing with his phone.
    I stopped, he didn't bat an eyelid.
    "Do you think you can step back please to let me through?
    "Take a chill pill mate!"
    He still stood there.
    I asked again, received a scowl, and he stepped aside.

i don't necessarily subscribe to this 2 metre distancing being chapter&verse on keeping us all safe from infection... various experts seem to have claimed it could be anything from 1 metre to the width of a road (what road? the M6 or the Hardknott Pass?)

But that is the guideline and so i do my utmost to respect that whenever i'm out...

A great many people who don't believe in it, just don't care though... hence your experience above...