Page 54 of 304 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Stretched the permitted exercise envelope this morning and went from Otley up onto Ilkley Moor to Check the 12 Apostles are surviving lockdown. I can report that they are fine.

Todays PDE was a pre lunch sunny but breezy 30 mile and 2'500 feet ride. Avoided all villages apart from Heathcote and Youlgreave. A few cyclist about but not many walkers but a greater number of cars parked in locations that would you not usually see them.

Probably people driving to a remoteish spot to go for a walk which in my book is a sensible option.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

As yesterday a short drive to Abbey Village.

From there 10.75 mile, 3:23, 1600ft anti-clockwise loop down the Goit to White Coppice, over Great Hill to Roddlesworth Ruins, back way round to Cartridge and then a route I haven't take for years to get to the Royal, over a little knoll across the gully from Aggies, back through Roddlesworth.

I visualised it as more like 12 miles when I set off, but it's not as far as I thought from Brinscall to White Coppice and then up Great Hill.

A cracking running route if I ever get fit enough to do it again.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    9.8 miles, 2,700 ft, 2 hours 22 minutes, over and around Loughrigg. Yet another perfect day weather-wise. Very quiet on the paths and roads, very few cars parked up. Almost all make an effort to create distance around them - nice to see. No blocked gates on Loughrigg that I could find.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Slow walk to the Outwoods with my wife, to see the bluebells.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Very enjoyable 23 on the bike, mainly off road round the reservoir and exploring another section of forestry. A bit more climbing than last week as well, however much that was.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Todays PDE was a combined 4 miles drive to a local farm this evening get some raw Jersey milk and a 5 miles run with my son on the High Peak Trail which runs near the farm.

Saw only two other people walking across distant fields. Others have reported fewer numbers out today, probably due to the biting North Easterly.
    Do you mean the white peak trail. It’s my fave bike path.Is the trail busy?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Do you mean the white peak trail. It’s my fave bike path.Is the trail busy?
    No Oracle, I meant the High Peak Trail.

I've never heard of the White Peak Trail. The High Peak Trail runs from its northerly point at Dowlow in a south easterly(ish) direction for 18 miles to Cromford. After 4 miles, at Parsley Hay, the Tissington Trail starts and runs in a southerly(ish) direction for 13 miles to Ashbourne.

My club, Matlock AC, put on the White Peak Marathon which is run up the Tissington Trail to Parsley Hay and then down the High Peak Trail to Cromford. All off road and, IIRC, was voted last year by Runners World as the 4th in their top ten best UK marathons.

Perhaps you are confused by a combination of the above which has caused you to invent a new trail!

Currently both trails are extremely quiet as the car parks are closed. I am fortunate as I can reach the HPT with a 4 mile bike ride /run. However, in normal times, weekends and holidays can be very busy and best avoided but during the working week generally very quiet.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 19-04-2020 at 11:15 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    Chilly bike ride to temple newsam. Lap of park run course, round the bridleways, past golf club, up in to Halton, Colton, Garforth and home.
    Nice loop with just over half off road.

Master
    8.24 miles, 2,000ft, 1 hour 54 minutes - over Wansfell Pike, to Wansfell true top, onwards to the road just south of the Kirkstone Inn, down the steep bit of The Struggle, then left on the track leading to Middle Grove and eventually the waterfalls just above Ambleside. A couple of gates tied closed, no signs, no detour - I climbed them. Was that a farmer yelling at me, or was he calling his dog? Luckily they were not close. The Wansfell ridge is the driest I have known it.