Page 55 of 304 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Banned
    I mean what you are calling tissington trail.

Sometimes start in Ashbourne, up to parsley hay for a cuppa, then down the branch in direction of Matlock.We do it as out and back.

It’s funny watching the inexperienced hiring bikes at parsley hay, zooming down to tissington.
    The looks on their faces coming back up the hill are a picture!

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    No Oracle, I meant the High Peak Trail.

I've never heard of the White Peak Trail. The High Peak Trail runs from its northerly point at Dowlow in a south easterly(ish) direction for 18 miles to Cromford. After 4 miles, at Parsley Hay, the Tissington Trail starts and runs in a southerly(ish) direction for 13 miles to Ashbourne.

My club, Matlock AC, put on the White Peak Marathon which is run up the Tissington Trail to Parsley Hay and then down the High Peak Trail to Cromford. All off road and, IIRC, was voted last year by Runners World as the 4th in their top ten best UK marathons.

Perhaps you are confused by a combination of the above which has caused you to invent a new trail!

Currently both trails are extremely quiet as the car parks are closed. I am fortunate as I can reach the HPT with a 4 mile bike ride /run. However, in normal times, weekends and holidays can be very busy and best avoided but during the working week generally very quiet.

A more typical Monday today workwise with plenty of orders so didn't get out until later and kept it simple.

It was a slight extension on the Beamers Trail.

9.2 miles, 1200 ft, 2:45

Mile 8 bumped in to John Schofield and his wife (ukresults.net) and had a 10-15 minute natter at a socially safe distance.
    It was his first time on that particular track linking Pleasington Station to Witton and he's lived not far away for 30+ years.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Walk/run to Beacon Hill, 75 minutes including 2 minutes gazing at the view from the top. I have seen it so many times, but I can never get bored with it.

My calf can tolerate this "run a bit, walk a bit" for that long, but it still plays up if I try going for a continuous run, even just two or three miles.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I mean what you are calling tissington trail.

Sometimes start in Ashbourne, up to parsley hay for a cuppa, then down the branch in direction of Matlock.We do it as out and back.

It’s funny watching the inexperienced hiring bikes at parsley hay, zooming down to tissington.
    The looks on their faces coming back up the hill are a picture!
    Its not me calling it the Tissington Trail it is the Tissington Trail. You can call it what you want!

A more regular occurrence these days is fatso's flying past uphill on electric bikes!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Todays PDE was a 6 miles and 550ft evening run across the fields towards Haddon Hall and back behind Shining Bank quarry. Legs felt heavy after recent longer bike rides. Saw not a single soul.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Just over 8 miles, just under 3,500 ft, 2 hours 21 minutes, over and around Wansfell. Very strong and quite cold wind at times. One very old tied wooden barrier - the rope used is very weathered and well pre-Covid I imagine.
    Very few about.

another day walking with Mrs WP as we cut through Pleasington Golf Course and looped around Hoghton Tower back home on the canal.
    A tad windy.
    9.2 mile, 2:45, 600ft
    Feeling a bit leggy. Been 32 consecutive days now. Only 3 runs in that, but gone over 300 miles.

Might dig the bike out this week and just try to use some different muscle groups and ease the joints a little.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Fantastic effort Richard.

Your on a roll, keep it up👍

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Fantastic effort Richard.

Your on a roll, keep it up��
    Thanks Trev - I know some out there are running and climbing more in a week than I'm walking with the Mrs, but having spent much of the last few years pissing about with 15-20 mile weeks, 3-4 runs a week, and that's in the better periods, probably what I'm doing is the best chance I have of getting myself back with a chance of getting around a 3 Peaks again.

Once this is over, I need to try and keep it going in between the running days.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Im not disputing it , I’m not a local , I’m just clarifying what I do: a mixture of both trails.

I’ve just discovered where I got the name: a leaflet I carry called “ white peak trails” produced by local government.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Its not me calling it the Tissington Trail it is the Tissington Trail. You can call it what you want!

A more regular occurrence these days is fatso's flying past uphill on electric bikes!
    Last edited by Oracle; 21-04-2020 at 07:30 PM.