Page 56 of 304 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Todays PDE was a 27 mile and 1'500 feet bike ride with my son down into Bakewell and an out and back along the Monsal Trail. For a midweek day it was very busy, especially the couple of miles either side Bakewell. Stopped counting people once it reached 100!
    Gippo's encamped on the showground having a bonfire, burning all sorts of rubbish. Looks like the council have even provided them with a portaloo, unless they've nicked it from somewhere. Of course, the council have stopped green bin collections and closed the tips, or whatever they call them these days, and I and many others have lots of garden waste to dispose of.
    I'm tempted to take it down to the showground and set fire to it next to the Gippo's but I'm sure Derbyshire Police's drone will be on me in a flash. Perhaps if I wait until 8pm on Thursday, when they'll all be clapping outside Derby Royal Infirmary, I might get away with it!
    Anyway the highlight of the day was, whilst on the trail, bumping into a fell running friend who I have not seen for a while. Good to see you Ian.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Banned
    While out for a steady off-road potter I came across this:-

Route 697 of the National Cycle Network is partially complete and open between Garforth and Allerton Bywater, known as the Linesway Greenway. When completed it will connect Garforth to Knottingly, via Castleford and Ferrybridge.

Very enjoyable experience. Then returned via River Aire path to RSPB nature park at St Aidens around there and back home.

Absolutely brilliant. Really enjoyed it and only 20k.

Master
    Roughly the same route/time/ascent as yesterday, over and around Wansfell. Lots of picnicking couples today - about half a dozen - I don't have a particular problem with them, as long as they don't leave stuff behind, but I do wish they would set themselves up away from the paths - one couple was actually on the path.

9.4 miles, 1000ft, 3 hours.

Our usual Beamers Trail walk extended by a couple of miles.

Came a cross a boisterous herd of around 20 bullocks that took a shine to us

Got our road bikes ready for tomorrow.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Todays PDE was a 52 mile and 5,200 feet bike ride over to the Hope Valley and a lovely, car and fume free, ascent of Winnats Pass. Down into Chapel en le Frith, Whaley Bridge and up Long Hill to Buxton and then back home.
    Very few cyclists or people about until I got to Chapel and Whaley when the roads were busy with cars and people. I found this a bit odd but perhaps it was because this was the first time I have been into a town or highly populated area for over 3 weeks.

Plan to keep to the sticks from now on!
    Reading this I thought I ought to up my game - even though I doubt if Llani Boy has a bus pass yet - so Ilkley/Gisburn/Blacko/Colne/Ilkley:50.1 miles, 3700ft, max pulse 152, max speed 37mph, max gradient hors de categorie, gels 2 and a happy Garmin Edge 520 Plus. It just wants to be useful.

But why does the wind blow so hard in Lancashire?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    But why does the wind blow so hard in Lancashire?
    Because it doesn't like Yorkshire and cannot get out quickly enough!

Banned
    Well done Graham. A testing effort with the wind from an Eastly direct.

Helped you over the boarder and hampered your return to Gods Own.

A fine effort Sir.

Todays PDE was a gentle 4 miles flattish evening run with my son, out to Magpie Mine. A beautiful sunset.

Banned
    Gentle ride to Dave Rayner cycle shop in Garforth for a set of rear brake blocks for the old Claud Butler mountain bike.

£4 a set so I splashed out and bought 2 sets.

Enjoyable 8 miles but correct me if I'm wrong but are we getting more numptys back out on the roads?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Run/walk to Buck Hill and the Outwoods. In fact, almost entirely run, since my calf was behaving itself perfectly; 43 minutes on a route that I would run in 39 minutes when reasonably fit. Didn't quite manage to run all the way up the steep part of Buck Hill.

Not sure why my calf suddenly decided to behave so well, maybe it was because I didn't do my usual "bat out of hell" impression at the start of the run.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges