Page 57 of 300 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    9.6 miles, 2,600 feet, 2 hours 21 minutes, over/around Loughrigg. Heard my first cuckoo - such a nice sound.
    AAC are doing a series of solo club challenges - the latest is the best time for 150 metres of ascent - any route you like. I have tried the steps up Wansfell Pike, and the steps up Loughrigg from Loughrigg Tarn, but cannot get it below 10 minutes and 4 seconds. The best time so far is 5.45!
    Last edited by Mike T; 23-04-2020 at 04:31 PM.

Got the bikes ready to go but Mrs WP decided to start gutting a room this morning ready for decorating so by the time we were ready to go, she wasn't feeling it for a bike ride.
    Tomorrow maybe.

So a walk again, 8.9 miles, 2:52, 1000ft
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    9.6 miles, 2,600 feet, 2 hours 21 minutes, over/around Loughrigg. Heard my first cuckoo - such a nice sound.
    AAC are doing a series of solo club challenges - the latest is the best time for 150 metres of ascent - any route you like. I have tried the steps up Wansfell Pike, and the steps up Loughrigg from Loughrigg Tarn, but cannot get it below 10 minutes and 4 seconds. The best time so far is 5.45!
    The world record for 1000 metres of ascent is 28:53. At that pace, you would be doing 150 metres in 4:20.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

What about Red Screes from Kirkstone? Nab Scar? Or up to the far end of Scandale and up Red Screes that way?

Would all seem to me to be steep enough (without being too severe) to rack up the climb...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    What about Red Screes from Kirkstone? Nab Scar? Or up to the far end of Scandale and up Red Screes that way?

Would all seem to me to be steep enough (without being too severe) to rack up the climb...
    Nab Scar steps seems a good option - no significant level sections, good traction almost all the way - I will give this route a go. Have had three goes is three days so far, two on Wansfell Pike, one on Loughrigg.

The world record for a vertical kilometre is astonishing.

I'd have thought the path from Scandale Pass summit up towards Red Screes would be decent... 5:45 would be a test as it looks like you'd need almost a km to get 150mtrs. Possibly more runnable than Nab Scar (if you like runnable climbs!)...

First day of lockdown without exercise, unfortunately with an infected cyst and puss sprayed all around the bathroom for two days I am giving it a miss. Very unpleasant and smelly, hopefully the worst of it is over.
    I presume everyone has finished their tea?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Was going to have something with custard for dessert - might give that a miss...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd have thought the path from Scandale Pass summit up towards Red Screes would be decent... 5:45 would be a test as it looks like you'd need almost a km to get 150mtrs. Possibly more runnable than Nab Scar (if you like runnable climbs!)...
    There are some short level sections that would waste time, and traction is an issue in places. I think steep man made rock steps offer the best chance of a really good performance. We will see who wins, and which route they used - not that this necessarily means they chose the best way up.

We do an annual thing at Pennine on a Thursday night - the Sandy Heys Uphill Time Trial - it goes from Benny's Bridge at the bottom of William Clough to the edge path on Kinder, near Sandy Heys. It's about 280m climb in 1.3km. I think Simon Coldrick's fastest time for this is 9 min 38 sec, which isn't too shabby.