Page 58 of 304 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    We do an annual thing at Pennine on a Thursday night - the Sandy Heys Uphill Time Trial - it goes from Benny's Bridge at the bottom of William Clough to the edge path on Kinder, near Sandy Heys. It's about 280m climb in 1.3km. I think Simon Coldrick's fastest time for this is 9 min 38 sec, which isn't too shabby.
    Do you only get one Thursday a year over at Pennine?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    There are some short level sections that would waste time, and traction is an issue in places. I think steep man made rock steps offer the best chance of a really good performance. We will see who wins, and which route they used - not that this necessarily means they chose the best way up.
    What about Loughrigg Terrace Mike? The path up to the summit at the right hand end? I once misunderstood or misheard the instructions the first time I did Loughrigg Silver Howe, back when it went from the rugby club and I dropped right down to the lake out and back. Funnily enough I don't think I was last to finish.

Banned
    Along the River Aire and around the local bridleways. Just an hour of cycling bliss.

Got some cracking photos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    What about Loughrigg Terrace Mike? The path up to the summit at the right hand end? I once misunderstood or misheard the instructions the first time I did Loughrigg Silver Howe, back when it went from the rugby club and I dropped right down to the lake out and back. Funnily enough I don't think I was last to finish.
    I once went back via the steps in the race - I just could not face the race route again. It does have a couple of flat sections, as well as a couple of places where hands on rock are needed.

Master
    7 miles, 67 minutes, in the fields around the Roman ruins. I think people are creeping back - 4 separate groups in one field - usually there has been one at the most.

I did a HIIT session this morning, hence my flat run - I will try a couple of 150 metre ascents tomorrow.

9.77 mile, 900 ft, 3:13

Another Beamers Trail with extension. As the cemetery was open again today, chose to walk up to Billinge Woods through there for the first time in a couple of weeks.

Today we had our first encounter with a bunch of idiots ignoring the social distancing. As we arrived at Hoghton Bottoms the farmer was out. At the narrow footbridge we had a bunch of youths in front crossing, so we hung back and let them cross.
    About 12-15 of them on mountain bikes and a couple that had driven down and parked. Looks like they'd decided to hold Kendal Calling on a bend of the river on the farmer's land and he'd kicked them off.
    A radio, some poly bags with cans in, amongst their essential kit.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

There seems no doubt, its definitely getting busier. Younger people in particular seem to be flouting the guidance with abandon. Yesterday evening I was out on my bike, A few miles from home, a group of young lads on hybrid's started crossing the road in front of me. Fearing a collision I shouted "watch out!". "We can see you, we're not f***ing blind", said one of them. "Yes but you've no f***ing brains!" I yelled back with some satisfaction and safe in the knowledge that they'd never catch me on my road bike.

Master
    10 miles, 2,600 feet, 2 hours 25 minutes: through Rydal Park, Nab Scar, Alcock Tarn, Loughrigg and home. 150 metre attempts: Nab Scar - 10 minutes 3 seconds; Loughrigg steps from the Terrace - about 12 minutes. So a 1 second improvement.

We did a more substantial tour of Pleasington Golf course during our walk today. It really is a nice course and the 12th Tee is a lovely peaceful spot to park on the bench and enjoy the view.
    From the Golf course we took our usual route through Hoghton Bottoms and home.
    Climb was down due to skipping the main ascent up Billnge Woods at the start.
    8.1 miles, 650ft, 2:35
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Today's PDE was a 41 mile and 3'500 feet late afternoon/evening bike ride around the villages in the Dove and Manifold valleys. An absolutely glorious day and surprisingly few people about compared to the last week.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog