Page 6 of 304 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

I think people need to remember that like all other emergency workers, the Police have little choice how close they get to others during this crisis, no matter what the Daily Mail says they’re not creeping round fining people for doing two runs a day or walking the dog more than once, they’re targeting the selfish idiots who think it’s ok to sunbath or go to the beach and mingle with others etc. Mrs DTR and I have every reason to worry during this but our own emergency worker (who does the job because she wants to help people because that’s how we made her) assures us that she is being as careful as possible, surely if everyone gets behind this, then this crap may be gone sooner and we can get back to normal.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    I think people need to remember that like all other emergency workers, the Police have little choice how close they get to others during this crisis, no matter what the Daily Mail says they’re not creeping round fining people for doing two runs a day or walking the dog more than once, they’re targeting the selfish idiots who think it’s ok to sunbath or go to the beach and mingle with others etc. Mrs DTR and I have every reason to worry during this but our own emergency worker (who does the job because she wants to help people because that’s how we made her) assures us that she is being as careful as possible, surely if everyone gets behind this, then this crap may be gone sooner and we can get back to normal.
    Spot on the government has given us the benefit of doubt that we will all use common sense and pull together to overcome a national emergency,
    but it seems that there are far too many short sighted selfish people in our society.

Banned
    Everything is easy for him that does not have to do it.
    They had no choice but to make it on the hoof.

The biggest unintended consequence of shutting down the economy is the massive recession the precedent of which we have never seen. And follow that with social unrest.

All the decisions are made by those with fixed guaranteed incomes who do not think it will affect them, indeed those whose output has little effect on economy one way or the others so they do not take economic considerations seriously : they call people and businesses who have to actually work to get paid covidiots.

In my view the seventy plus and vulnerable should have been legally forced into quarantine ( lobbing the odd loo roll and bag of porridge over their hedges) , then let the virus burn out in the population without mass destruction as quickly as possible. that way we do not trash the economy too.

No doubt the usual suspects will argue when budgets are cut,
    Let’s see how already grumbling councils cope with a budget cut of 50 percent.
    There will be little corporate tax revenue for years to come, the cash cow the public sector milk and insult in equal measure is on life support. And the entire public sector is funded by an ailing private sector.

There will be a tsunami of pensioners trashed by stock market collapse, forced by statute to invest in places MPs would not dream of doing themselves, as defined benefit pensioners increasingly take more than their already excessive share, paid by the same people whose income was trashed.
    The imbalance cannot end well. T

Tell me. In a world where private sector and self employed are forced to accept 80 percent, why has the entire civil service and public sector not been told to accept the same?

“ we are all in it together” never seems to apply to them. I will wager few of the medical staff coming out of retirement are doing it for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The first casualty of Covid-19 (and war) is truth, logic and joined up Government policy.

The Prime Minister and his advisers have clearly not identified the unintended consequences of making policy on the hoof nor explained clearly the thinking that underpins their decisions - so what hope for the local constabulary and mere citizens?
    Last edited by Oracle; 27-03-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Banned
    That is similar to what I was trying to say.
    Very well put Oracle and also very true.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    That is similar to what I was trying to say.
    Very well put Oracle and also very true.
    It’s not as if there was not a precedent : there is.

Hoover and his government urged employers not to ditch staff or cut their wages at the time of the 29 crash. He also tried to keep public expenditure as high as he could. So far subsidising excess farm production that food prices crashed, contributing not easing farms crashing. So he then paid them not to produce!! (A forerunner of EU failed common ag policy, the EU always did have an IQ of 50 and learning difficulties)

There is general agreement that Hoovers wonderland view of economics contributed to far more businesses going bump and far more people unemployed ,and for a recession that was deeper and longer than if a more realistic view had been taken , to allow market forces and small state to achieve an organic recovery.
    Last edited by Oracle; 27-03-2020 at 11:33 AM.

They've just been shamed internationally for doing something perfectly legitimate.
    Indeed.

And the whole idea that "shaming" is a way of changing peoples behaviour is simply not true not true.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...ng-doesnt-work
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Banned
    I'm not ashamed.
    In fact I'm delighted.
    Having exercised my right to 1 bike ride per day and one shop visit (walked to closest shop) I have conformed.

Am I a lucky one still on full salary or was that a life choice. I would have no problem dropping to 80% to be equal.

Anyway the CAAD 9 has just had its overall.
    Plus a pair of Schwalbe ZX. 9bar in each and off for my permitted exercise.

Banned
    A few more miles on trail.
    Saw literally no one. Not even a dog walker.
    Gorgeous day.

3.3 miles, 30 minutes, loop through Witton
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    30min bike ride. Most traffic all week.