Page 67 of 304 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    On a different but related issue there was some coverage last week about how long the virus survives in a surface in the open air if it's warm and exposed to UV light. Apparently not long at all, maybe even a matter of a few seconds. That's reassuring for me, most of my runs have a high stile and gate count for the first few miles before reaching open ground.
    Do you have a link for that? One gate I use has been deliberately blocked by a tree recently - so it involves climbing over and hands on surfaces - annoying to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have not seen much about risks/cases when outside, apart from recommendations .
    I thought outdoor transmission is now generally accepted to be much less likely than inside. Hence why the restrictions on outdoor exercise are being loosened.

There was a recent study in China that looked at 318 outbreaks of Covid-19. Only one of those outbreaks accounting for two cases, was found to have been transmitted outdoors.
    Last edited by Muddy Retriever; 10-05-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Do you have a link for that? One gate I use has been deliberately blocked by a tree recently - so it involves climbing over and hands on surfaces - annoying to say the least.
    No link, sorry but it was discussed on BBC R4.

The DT yesterday (by its Global Health Security Editor!! rather than a jobsworth) reported on a Chinese study (157 cases and 2147 contacts) that showed 22% infection amongst friends, 18% in families, 12% on transport and "something in the 0-5% range" outside.

One might say "So what?" but this puts numbers on things. Another study showed 28% spouses infected - which prompts the thought - why not 100%?

All very interesting.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 10-05-2020 at 08:54 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The DT yesterday (by its Global Health Security Editor!! rather than a jobsworth) reported on a Chinese study (157 cases and 2147 contacts) that showed 22% infection amongst friends, 18% in families, 12% on transport and "something in the 0-5% range" outside.

One might say "So what?" but this puts numbers on things. Another study showed 28% spouses infected - which prompts the thought - why not 100%?

All very interesting.
    Of course if you stay away from your friends, don't use public transport, don't meet family and live alone, that 0-5% will go up to 100%, if you count shops as "outside". I too am surprised at the 28% - there may be some false negatives in the testing, but even so, why don't most partners get it?

Today's PDE was a 5 mile road run as part of our club's pretend duathlon. Considering just about all my running is off road I was quite pleased to complete it in under 7 min/mile pace especially as the local roads are not flat and my course included over 300 ft of ascent.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    7 miles, 68 minutes, around the Roman ruins. Very few about, thankfully. That wind is jolly cold at times.

Banned
    An hour of cycling in chilly weather conditions around the B roads of home.

Lockdown appears to be over as I encountered 3 numpty drivers who think a couple of inches is plenty for a cyclist.

A rubbish ride up around the mines, very hard going today and the wind against me going up meant it took me 40 minutes of climb to the top. Struggled but done it.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Banned
    Well done Mole. As the weather gets warmer and winds die down, you will smile at today's efforts 👍