Page 69 of 300 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Banned
    “ The views of the man of the family are not necessarily the views of the management”

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've mostly been running on the low fells around Shap and Haweswater which I can do from home without driving. I've been taking extra kit and poles (which would be useful with a lower leg injury or as a splint) and my wife is under strict instructions that in no circumstances is she to call out MR.

It's easy to forget that many of the Lakes MRTs have only comparatively recently celebrated 50 years of being in existence, yet people were climbing and walking in the fells long before that.
    I also think that 8 team members to carry a stretcher is an optimistic number. Yes it takes 8 at any one time but in practice and reality numerous changes are needed over any significant distance. It's true that you can swap positions and maybe sledge for a bit if the terrain and the condition of the casualty allows but in any circumstances a stretcher evacuation over any distance with only 8 people is an exhausting proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I suppose that's akin to a Do Not Resuscitate instruction.
    Which in many circumstances is a totally sensible decision!

Master
    12.5 miles, 3,400 ft, 3 hours 8 minutes, Fairfield Horseshoe. Three others local runners, about 15 walkers, in groups of up to 5. Cool breeze on top, just right.
    As to not calling Mountain Rescue, my partner does not know where I go half the time - I change my mind after starting out.

Master
    [QUOTE=Mike T;660974

As to not calling Mountain Rescue, my partner does not know where I go half the time - I change my mind after starting out.[/QUOTE]

Likewise all my distance stuff is done solo and I seldom tell anybody my route but I do carry a SENDs unit.

That way if things go belly up and I am unable to use the SOS function then at least Mountain Rescue have a good chance of finding me without the need for a lengthy search, as long as my emergency point of contact is asked for or gives my last known position.

Not foolproof but better than Nowt
    Last edited by JohnK; 14-05-2020 at 07:49 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Thinking about the Mountain Recue Teams, I'm wondering how many of them are actually sitting at home thinking to themselves "I wish we had a callout, anything to get out of this damn house and onto the hills" .
    But can't say that in public!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    There are no Mountain Rescue teams in Leicestershire, but I think if I failed to return from a run, my wife would know to start the search in the Outwoods or on Beacon Hill.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    Thinking about the Mountain Recue Teams, I'm wondering how many of them are actually sitting at home thinking to themselves "I wish we had a callout, anything to get out of this damn house and onto the hills" .
    But can't say that in public!
    According to their website, LAMRT have had 1 call out so far this month - to a local who fell and sustained a head injury walking near Bowness. From my contact with them - educational sessions at their base in Ambleside, and a couple are friends, they are very enthusiastic about their work and normally enjoy call outs - I doubt the same applies now.
    Of the 22 incidents so far this year, 3 have involved fell runners.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

However, living in the Midlands, I'd have to pass by several alternative hill destinations with less pressure on them... Shropshire Hills, Lancashire Hills, Howgills, etc. So no I wouldn't travel to the Lakes in the current climate.
    I would have thought the southern end of the peak district a fair option for you as well.

For me local options for a change would be Pendle or Winter Hill. 20-25 minutes away. I doubt I will, but they would be my first considerations rather going farther afield.
    I'm not really running far enough yet for it to be worthwhile.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I would have thought the southern end of the peak district a fair option for you as well.

For me local options for a change would be Pendle or Winter Hill. 20-25 minutes away. I doubt I will, but they would be my first considerations rather going farther afield.
    I'm not really running far enough yet for it to be worthwhile.
    Yes i'd considered the Roaches area as it is great running there, but it is a very popular beauty spot and i'd imagine parking would be a challenge. Unfortunately I don't know the South Peaks well enough to pick out the more remote gems.

I'd actually considered the English/Wales border ridge on the eastern boundary of the Black Mountains. However a glance at the map and parking and accessing the ridge from the English side appears a little more difficult than the Hay On Wye/Gospel Pass side, and again i don't know the area well enough to know the likely reception i'd get running up through farms on the English side.

Shropshire Hills are fine for now.