Page 87 of 303 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Feeling very lethargic and not like doing anything, but got on the bike and went for a peddle and ended up with 18 miles which felt easy.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    6 miles, 1066 feet, 61 minutes: 8 hills of Ambleside - a well used and much loved winter club route. Lots of holiday lets being cleaned and readied. Overcast but very humid.

Banned
    Steady 12k in very warm conditions on the course.

Cracking day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Steady 12k in very warm conditions on the course.

Cracking day out.
    Better watch out on your golf course, hunt saboteurs are now targeting courses because they control rabbits - this is what one of them had to say about golfers:

"In a bizarre rant on Facebook, a seperate saboteur group called ‘WildAct’ joined in congratulating the North Dorset group, claiming: “Golf is a feudal and puerile activity for overprivileged, usually significantly physically unfit individuals to lie to themselves they do 'sport' and it would be only reasonable in this time and era for all golf clubs to be turned into parks and rewilded sanctuaries. A lot of them are using public land anyway.”

They then go on to encourage warped followers to take part in a organised campaign of harassment, by ‘shaming’ clubs conducting culls and to ‘show up’ to stop any culling activity."

There you go mate - rabbits rule, golfers out
    Bonkers the lot of them!

Banned
    In fear of further daft lefty movements I went on the bike this morning.

12k leisurely along the river bank at 8am.

Quite and lovely morning.

Master
    12.5 miles, 3,241 feet, 3 hours 17 minutes. Fairfield Horseshoe - hot! Had to lie down after my shower - first time ever. A bit of a breeze on top which was so welcome. Lots at the small reservoir down in the middle of the horseshoe - looked nice from High Pike or there abouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    12.5 miles, 3,241 feet, 3 hours 17 minutes. Fairfield Horseshoe - hot! Had to lie down after my shower - first time ever. A bit of a breeze on top which was so welcome. Lots at the small reservoir down in the middle of the horseshoe - looked nice from High Pike or there abouts.
    I've never seen or heard about this... is there some kind of reservoir in Rydal Beck Valley (Rydale?)

Have always though an interesting route would be straight up this valley to the head, then direct climb up onto Fairfield... never tried it yet though...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've never seen or heard about this... is there some kind of reservoir in Rydal Beck Valley (Rydale?)

Have always though an interesting route would be straight up this valley to the head, then direct climb up onto Fairfield... never tried it yet though...
    If you head straight up the floor of the valley, instead of heading left up the steps to Nab Scar, you eventually get to this nice little reservoir. The gates say private property, but clearly people ignore the signs.
    I have tried going up the valley, and then, well after the reservoir, going up steep left, but it was a lot of hard work, and I would not try it again. I suspect going up to the head of the valley would be similarly difficult.

Had another bike ride yesterday, went exploring and did 27 miles and 3800ft, lovely off road riding but hot, though pleased I got it in yesterday and not today - that would not have happened in this heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If you head straight up the floor of the valley, instead of heading left up the steps to Nab Scar, you eventually get to this nice little reservoir. The gates say private property, but clearly people ignore the signs.
    I have tried going up the valley, and then, well after the reservoir, going up steep left, but it was a lot of hard work, and I would not try it again. I suspect going up to the head of the valley would be similarly difficult.
    Thanks for the info...

I was sure i'd seen the direct ascent on Fairfield in the Wainwright guides... in fact a quick check and it's shown in the Hart Crag chapter... up to head of valley then climb straight to Hart Crag-Fairfield col, or Dove-Hart Crag col... as you suggest, it does say it's steep going!

Did something vaguely similar in the Mountain Trial a couple of years back. Dropped from Alcock Tarn/Heron Pike into the valley, along half a mile, then a beeline ascent straight onto Dove Crag... can confirm it wasn't much fun!

I do like the odd direct ascent like this... if you can climb reasonably, they can be useful... Mickleden straight up the scree and Axe Factory to Pike O' Stickle... Levers Water straight up to Levers Hause... Grasmoor via Red Gill... and so forth
    Last edited by Travs; 24-06-2020 at 06:20 PM.