Page 96 of 304 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106146196 ... LastLast

Thread: Todays permitted exercise!

Bike, 31 miles and 4700ft, pleased as I rode it quite well, about 12 miles off road and lots of hills!
    Average speed is creeping up so I must be getting stronger.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Master
    5.64 miles, 915 feet, 58 minutes: some of the hills of Ambleside. Luckily the rain had stopped. The minor roads on the lower slopes of Wansfell are lovely and quiet compared to elsewhere.

Master
    9.74 miles, 2,900 feet, 2 hours 25 minutes: Scandale/Red Screes. Cold strong wind on top, showers visible elsewhere but I managed to avoid them so vest only. Quite a few on the fell, loads in town.

Master
    7.34 miles, 2,218 feet, 1 hour 54 minutes: Wansfell Ridge. Perfect running weather - fells are busy.

Bugger all. Drinking beer. Guilt will come later!

Master
    5.28 miles, 331 feet, 51 minutes: the lower roads of Ambleside. Busy pavements - lots of crossing the road to avoid groups. Very humid.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Beacon Hill, via Buck Hill and Felicity's Wood. Felt very slow, although I managed to keep running on most of the climbs ["running" = gait that would get me disqualified in a race-walk]. One of the signs of getting older is taking longer to recover from exercise: after my 14-mile brisk walk on Sunday, my attempt at a run on Tuesday turned into a walk/run, and I didn't feel fully recovered even today.

This was the first occasion since lockdown when I have felt any antagonism from a walker whom I have encountered while running. On the really narrow section of the path up to the Outwoods, there was a group of two men and two women, around my age or older, ahead of me. The two men were in front but seemed to notice me first and found a convenient niche in the hedge on one side. One of the women followed them there but the other one waved me to wait, so I slowed down to a walk; but I was still puffing and panting (it is uphill), so (without turning round) she said "Wait!" (which I did, until she had reached the niche).

I encountered them again on the bridleway back down from the Outwoods, which is much wider. This time the men were at the back. I said "Hello again" when I was about five yards behind, and the men moved to the side and seemed quite cheerful as I passed, but the woman said "Again" in a rather miserable voice as I went past her.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Obviously covidepressed!

Master
    7.38 miles, 750 feet, 74 minutes: Drunken Duck loop. Gosh it is hot out there - I had been thinking of going higher but getting up there would not have been pleasant. At least this route is about 50% in the shade. Not many walkers today.

Master
    12.43 miles, 3,373 feet, 3 hours 24 minutes: Fairfield Horseshoe. From Nab Scar to Dove Crag in thick cloud.
    Started at 8.20am so only met 5 on the way up - loads on the way down. Much cooler than yesterday, thankfully.