Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When This Is Over

A trip in the camper, with the "best bike" on the back - especially as I've altered the gearing for "pass stoming" (in my case pass pootling) - I'm aiming to tilt at the "three iconic hill climbs of Great Britain" - Stwlan Dam at Bleannau Ffestiniog, Great Dunn Fell in the Eden Valley and Bealach na Ba on Applecross.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    A trip in the camper, with the "best bike" on the back - especially as I've altered the gearing for "pass stoming" (in my case pass pootling) - I'm aiming to tilt at the "three iconic hill climbs of Great Britain" - Stwlan Dam at Bleannau Ffestiniog, Great Dunn Fell in the Eden Valley and Bealach na Ba on Applecross.
    Bealach na Ba is a cracking bike ride, it isn`t a bad road run either especially if you take in the 4.25 miles to the Corbett summit of Sgurr a Charoachain.

The Bealach na Ba pass is also a good early morning blast on a motorbike Have fun

The campsite in Kinlochewe makes a good base
    Last edited by JohnK; 13-04-2020 at 08:05 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Surely a hill climb can only be iconic if you can go down the other side? So only Bealach na Ba qualifies. The Welsh one should presumably be Bwlch y Groes. Not sure what the most iconic climb in England should be: Fleet Moss? Holme Moss?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Surely a hill climb can only be iconic if you can go down the other side? So only Bealach na Ba qualifies. The Welsh one should presumably be Bwlch y Groes. Not sure what the most iconic climb in England should be: Fleet Moss? Holme Moss?
    I know nothing really about cycling, but I'd imagine the Struggle up from Ambleside, and then down Kirkstone to Patterdale would be good. Or Hartside in the Pennines near Alston.

Would imagine the likes of Wrynose and Hardknott too twisty and acute-angled for such great fun descending...

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I wonder if the NHS staff will be thanked in their pay packets when this over?
    I'm going to make myself even more unpopular here

I appreciate the staff in the NHS as much as anyone else who goes out to work and pays their taxes. But I do wish this cult around the NHS would settle down.

and my daughter is an NHS employee. She's perfectly well remunerated.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I'd just like to be able to set off with a back-pack, stick in a flask and sandwich, without feeling like I've mugged an old lady
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I'm going to make myself even more unpopular here

I appreciate the staff in the NHS as much as anyone else who goes out to work and pays their taxes. But I do wish this cult around the NHS would settle down.

and my daughter is an NHS employee. She's perfectly well remunerated.

I have a similar view on the NHS, supply/demand of workforce and therefore wage levels, their criteria for placing people on graduate schemes, etc, etc...

I'm not going to articulate in detail as i'll probably get lynched... suffice to say I feel that ploughing more and more finance at the NHS is not the answer, it's well proven that it gets wasted... that's what needs sorting...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    I wonder if the NHS staff will be thanked in their pay packets when this over?
    This won’t be popular either,

The reality is stagger, that the private sector pays for the entire public sector and has faced an earning catastrophe, from which it will take years to recover. That being so the question will be how much of the public sector numbers and salaries will need to be cut, not increased, to make numbers add up, such increase would be offensive to those who pay their salaries.

When are mps going to take an 80 percent cut in solidarity?

The NHS are more than enough remunerated.

Indeed some of the practices of creaming the NHS, must stop: where nurses sell nhs training back to the NHS as contractors at far higher price,( that is why nurse training had to be personally funded)
    some whilst already taking a pension! Creaming the system twice!
    or doctors excessive Pensions so high in present reuturns they exceed limits and then retire early. That too must stop.

I sometimes wonder if those in public service have any idea how hard it is to earn the Money that pays them.

In any other industry you would need to pay back training if you fail to stay in the company tha5 paid it. Not the NHS. Pay us more or we go to New Zealand!

I have every respect for doctors and nurses in the many poor countries who do it for half the pay with no resources at all, out of a sense of vocation!

The real miracle workers of health ,those in big pharma science are far less rewarded and take far greater risk. Most pharma companies fail. What about them? The amount of attacks pharma get is a disgrace. They write the scripts others in medicine follow.

Sure nhs have done a laudable job, but in the end it is just the job they signed up for.

I am fascinated by a statistic. In the population as a whole 11000 deaths in 70 mill is only 0.01 percent.

19 NHS personnel have died. Every one a tragedy.
    But the oddity is with 300000 doctors registered, at least treble that for nurses and orderlies etc.
    So 19 deaths in 1 million is far less than population as a whole
    So on that basis it is safer to be in the nhs than out of it!

It is certainly not a massive risk.

I actually wonder whether by the time most get to needing serious hospital care, they may be infected, but may not still be infectious?
    Last edited by Oracle; 14-04-2020 at 11:13 AM.

Get me haircut

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    I am fascinated by a statistic. In the population as a whole 11000 deaths in 70 mill is only 0.01 percent.

19 NHS personnel have died. Every one a tragedy.
    But the oddity is with 300000 doctors registered, at least treble that for nurses and orderlies etc.
    So 19 deaths in 1 million is far less than population as a whole
    So on that basis it is safer to be in the nhs than out of it!
    A valid comparison would be between deaths among NHS workers and deaths among the working population under 70 years old. I suspect that working in the NHS would then be seen as substantially more dangerous. And last time I looked, there had been 32 deaths of NHS workers.

Nevertheless, the general point that remuneration is not a major problem in the NHS may well be correct.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges