Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fell Race

Favorite Fell Race

Well, this is supposed to be a forum about Fell Racing and we can't do it at the moment so I thought we could dream and rember the good times.
    I have done a few, but I've not done any of the Lake District classic long ones.

So what is your favorite fell race?
    For me:-
    Jura, cause its on a Scotish island and is rock hard with some danger and amazing views - when you dare look up.
    Kilnsey crag, short hard and dangerous.
    Hoof Stones, a proper fell race and a lovely atmosphere. And it finishes at a good pub.
    Full Tour of Pendle, cause its hard and contrived - grown men and women cry at the bottom of Big End. Under a tenner and you get a cracking T shirt and a bottle of beer and Keiran is a top bloke.
    Charlesworth Chase/Simons Seat, simple race just up and down and you have to drink a pint to finish.

But I think my favorite is Black Fell, it's got it all. Start and finish in a field, tricky navigation, difficult route choices over hellish ground and a lovely run in.
    Last edited by MattPo; 28-03-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Banned
    1. Ben Nevis
    2. Scafell Pike
    3. Coniston Gullies

Peris... tempted to say "no other comes close" but that would be doing a dis-service to fantastic races like Ennerdale, Welsh 1000m, Callow, and too many others to list...

but... Peris...

My top 3 in no particular order: Coniston, Kentmere and Loughrigg Silverhowe. Nothing too technical, quite runnable mediums and all with great scenery. Honourable foreign mention for Sierre Zinal (when it was a bit less popular!).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'll have to pick one from each category.

Mediums tend to be my bag so a hard choice. I really enjoyed Coniston last year. Great atmosphere, tough enough to be challenging with a lot of runnable ground. However, Buttermere Sailbeck is probably my favourite basically because of the fine ridge running and that it packs in more ascent than some longs. The last couple of miles are absolutely fantastic - full gas descent through the most stunning scenery (if you dare to look up!)

Borrowdale has to be up there in the long category. It has everything - nearly broke me last time I did it.

I don't do many shorts and it greaves me not to put in a Shropshire race so I'll have to go for one Travs has already mentioned - Callow. A relatively new one for me but it is tough. I think apart from the first 500m it is either steep up or down pretty much all the way to the finish. 4 of the toughest climbs on the Long Mynd.

Ask me again tomorrow and you'll probably get a completely different list... .

1. Three Shires
    2. Jura
    3. Ilkley Moor

Long: I'm with Travs on this one. Peris is just awesome.
    Medium: A tough category. So many epics. But for sheer surprise at its hardness, Long Mynd has to go in.
    Short: Gotta go local with this one. Pen Y Fan. Perfect location, perfect race, perfect pub!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    Manx Mountain Marathon

Larig Ghru

Cape Wrath Marathon (and associated mid week runs} The social events are a +
    The older I get the Faster I was

I think medium races are great, but not done that many 'classic' ones..... Fairfield Horseshoe, Long Mynd Valleys, Kentmere spring to mind.

Probably my favourite has been Four Fans in South Wales, closely followed by Arenig Fawr further north... both very remote, unfrequented and very much off-piste!

Ah! Of course, you reminded me! The long lost Rhinogs race. A medium race to scourge your spirit. Tough as an old tough thing!!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth