Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Fell Race

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by BillJ View Post
    My three would be:

Lake District Mountain Trial - I love the navigational events; if mountain marathons counted I would probably put the now extinct Highlander Mountain Marathon and the original RAB MM, but will settle for LDMT instead

Teenager with Altitude - for me this has the best running in the Lakes

Shutlingsloe - have always had a great day out there, and such a perfect viewpoint for the race
    I was going to say LDMT myself but omitted it on the basis that it is not fell race in the true sense of the word and that it obviously changes location every year. However, if is definitely top of my list. The one "must do" event of the year and hopefully one that will still be on when September comes around.
    Like Travs, I get a real buzz on the start line with the anticipation of what that map will reveal.

From that list as well, the TWA... did that for the first time last year, only because i happened to be in the Lakes that weekend... stunning race.

Peris Horsehshoe - it has everything

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    You can't beat the buzz of walking round the start of the LDMT and not knowing where you're going, but knowing it's going to be a big one....
    .... and still not knowing where you're going when you're halfway round! Excluding the Mountain Trial as a different beast, my top 3 would be:
    Mearley Clough, short and sharp with pasta supper included;
    Buttermere Sailbeck, pretty much what PeteS said, great ridge running and a brilliant final descent and
    Duddon Long: not the toughest long but always catches quite a few out in the first half if the clag is down, then the second half is mostly runnable if you haven't got too carried away on the Little Stand and Swirl How climbs.

1. Three Peaks
    2. Langdale Horseshoe
    3. Ennerdale Horseshoe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Smith View Post
    Peris Horsehshoe - it has everything
    Hello Mark, where ya bin??😉

Short Chrome hill
    Med Grisedale (or maybe Carneddau if was still going)
    Long Jura
    ...many more still to do though.

Good call for Carneddau Sasquatch. Only ever did it twice but it was fearsome!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Good call for Carneddau Sasquatch. Only ever did it twice but it was fearsome!
    Yes was a fantastic race. Only did it the once myself. Hope it gets resurrected one day. 👍👍

A lovely "out of the way" event is the Preseli Beast - take your pick from three distances 11, 24 or 32 miles, on the same day. All three races share the first 3 or 4 miles and the last 4 or 5 miles. I've never run it but I've been down to all seven editions to assist my mate Carwyn with the settting-up, marshalling etc. A lovely area and the entire village embraces the event.
    Sadly not to be this year.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!