Thread: Murder at the Bunny Runs!!

Murder at the Bunny Runs!!

So, the national press have today printed a story basically saying that runners at the Bunny Runs usually trample hundreds of toads to death, and that due to Coronavirus, this year the wildlife could flourish for a change.

Admittedly I haven't done a BR for a couple of years but it's the first i've ever heard of it. I did check my watch and it's not April 1st just yet.

What with any form, length or location of exercise being cause for incredible abuse on social media (and here!), is this just another excuse to have a dig?? The article was heavily swayed towards the toad-lovers point of view, all but glossing over the fact that Bradford Council & Wharfedale Harriers weren't aware of any issue.

I thought it was a fairly poorly done piece, but judge for yourselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-are-cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    So, the national press have today printed a story basically saying that runners at the Bunny Runs usually trample hundreds of toads to death, and that due to Coronavirus, this year the wildlife could flourish for a change.

Admittedly I haven't done a BR for a couple of years but it's the first i've ever heard of it. I did check my watch and it's not April 1st just yet.

What with any form, length or location of exercise being cause for incredible abuse on social media (and here!), is this just another excuse to have a dig?? The article was heavily swayed towards the toad-lovers point of view, all but glossing over the fact that Bradford Council & Wharfedale Harriers weren't aware of any issue.

I thought it was a fairly poorly done piece, but judge for yourselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-are-cancelled
    that's the sort of drivel i would expect from the Guardian. Oh dear someone once stood on a toad, let's demonise anyone who exercises. i expect it is the fault of over-privileged capitalist middle class middle aged white heterosexual males (who identify as male). save the toad!

I do peruse the grauniad but take things with a pinch of salt and a cynical eye.

'Wharfedale Warriors' is my personal favourite.

It's something worth looking into to see if there is an actual impact, but are there any actual numbers or photographic evidence about? (use of the word 'dozens' or 'hundreds' doesn't count as statistically watertight to me)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Introducing the new inov8 toadclaw ...£250 a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Introducing the new inov8 toadclaw ...£250 a pair.
    Graphene included?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Given that the Today’s Wildlife Encounter thread has been running on the Forum for 12 years and appears to have only positive reports of wildlife spotted, it seems highly unlikely that this so called massacre can have taken place without comment. I strongly believe there would have been an outcry from the running community and calls to amend the route by participants....Not read any reports of desiccated toads lingering on shoes either!