Thread: Good Deed/Blowing One's Own Trumpet

Good Deed/Blowing One's Own Trumpet

Whilst driving home from a job this afternoon I saw a youth on the grass verge near Magpie Mine with his cycle upside down and a perplexed look on his face. I stopped and asked him if he was OK. He had a flat front tyre and was trying to blow it up with a pump with a Schraeder fitting when it was a Presta that was required. Apparently he had borrowed the bike from his father-in-law and the pump from a friend. He had already done about 15 miles and was on his way home to Matlock.

I live only 2 miles away so I told him I would nip home and return with a pump and new tube. Ten minutes later I was back with him, expecting to have to change the tube for him but he then told me that he had not had a puncture but had decided, after 15 miles, there was not enough pressure in the tyre and on trying to top it up with the wrong connection had let out what air there was. Dimwit.

He was impressed by my track pump as it inflated his tube/tyre and after thanking me set off for Matlock like a rocket. As I drove past him he gave me a cheery wave and I felt good.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Whilst driving home from a job this afternoon I saw a youth on the grass verge near Magpie Mine with his cycle upside down and a perplexed look on his face. I stopped and asked him if he was OK. He had a flat front tyre and was trying to blow it up with a pump with a Schraeder fitting when it was a Presta that was required. Apparently he had borrowed the bike from his father-in-law and the pump from a friend. He had already done about 15 miles and was on his way home to Matlock.

I live only 2 miles away so I told him I would nip home and return with a pump and new tube. Ten minutes later I was back with him, expecting to have to change the tube for him but he then told me that he had not had a puncture but had decided, after 15 miles, there was not enough pressure in the tyre and on trying to top it up with the wrong connection had let out what air there was. Dimwit.

He was impressed by my track pump as it inflated his tube/tyre and after thanking me set off for Matlock like a rocket. As I drove past him he gave me a cheery wave and I felt good.
    Heartwarming. If I am not inspired to a PB on this morning's ride it will only be because of the tears in my eyes.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I am going to hold a minute's clap for Llani Boy at 8pm...

Banned
    Good effort Llani 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I am going to hold a minute's clap for Llani Boy at 8pm...
    I was sat in the garden with a beer at 8pm and could hear you all clapping. Thank You.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Nice one Llani. Please educate me, though. I've used foot and hand pumps but can't imagine what a track pump is. (Incidentally, if my experience is anything to go by, Schrader all the way if you want your tyres to stay up for more than a couple of weeks.)

Banned
    Track pump is one you stand on with both feet together. Then its vertical action, up and down with the pump.

I run 10bar in the road tyres and need a track pump to achieve that pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    (Incidentally, if my experience is anything to go by, Schrader all the way if you want your tyres to stay up for more than a couple of weeks.)
    With 23mm tires?

Or do you ride a "sit up and beg"?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".