Whilst driving home from a job this afternoon I saw a youth on the grass verge near Magpie Mine with his cycle upside down and a perplexed look on his face. I stopped and asked him if he was OK. He had a flat front tyre and was trying to blow it up with a pump with a Schraeder fitting when it was a Presta that was required. Apparently he had borrowed the bike from his father-in-law and the pump from a friend. He had already done about 15 miles and was on his way home to Matlock.

I live only 2 miles away so I told him I would nip home and return with a pump and new tube. Ten minutes later I was back with him, expecting to have to change the tube for him but he then told me that he had not had a puncture but had decided, after 15 miles, there was not enough pressure in the tyre and on trying to top it up with the wrong connection had let out what air there was. Dimwit.

He was impressed by my track pump as it inflated his tube/tyre and after thanking me set off for Matlock like a rocket. As I drove past him he gave me a cheery wave and I felt good.