Thread: Suunto Ambit3 Run hr belt

Suunto Ambit3 Run hr belt

Hi, looking for a replacement hr sensor belt. On 2nd Suunto one. Both failed with random readings. Is there any reccomendations for a 3rd party belt from anyone. Thanks Andy

Hi Andy. Not sure what you mean by random readings. My friend and I both have Suunto (I've an ambit 3 vertical, he has a 9, both using suunto smartsensors, but I've had the same with the previous suunto sensor and other generic ones) and we occasionally get unexpected spikes and strange readings. This seems to be a thing with many HRMs - I've had it on three different Suuntos and on a previous monitor as well.Unless your readings are constantly bizarre it might just be that it's an annoying glitch. Theories abound -I'm sure there are some other threads on here if you want to search. My own thinking is that starting off with a moistened belt you get a good reading. As you warm up it dries and you then get a spiked reading for as long as it takes you to get sweaty and restore a good skin to belt contact.
    Failing that it might be worth trying a cheap Bluetooth sensor jfrom eBay or somewhere. The advantage of the smartsensor, if you don't already know is that it records your HR itself and will download it to the watch at the end of your session if the signal is compromised, during swimming for example.
    Hope this helps.

Hi, first sensor gave random high spikes which was repaired by Suunto. The second one is doing the same after only 4 months. Have tried all the tricks including conducting gel. Have looked at the posts hoping to see if anything crops up. Used the old Garmin hard belt for years and never had issues. Think I will try a cheap EBay sensor like you mentioned. Thanks Andy