Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running with a cocker spaniel

Running with a cocker spaniel

So we will be getting a spaniel in a month and I’m wondering a couple of things. Firstly at what age is it ok to take running, any tips for running off the lead, anyone run with a spaniel if so how far can they go?

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I would suggest 9 months old before any lengthy runs. Like any other runner, they will need to build up to it and with the supposed onset of warmer months, heat fatigue will be an issue you should be wary of. I don't even do short runs with my collie over the summer but he's quite up to 15km or more in the cooler months. If running off-lead you will need to make sure the dog is safe around livestock or even better just put him on a long lead suitable for running when necessary.

You'll also need to work on a strong recall and emergency stay/down - especially important with a spanner!

Also, watch out for damage to paws/pads. Easily done in hot dry conditions or over rough ground. Again build up gradually.

Plenty of towels in your car after a muddy run.

And last but by no means least, enjoy running with a companion that can quite easily match your pace and doesn't have any opinion on route choice!
    Think that's about it.

Enjoy

Pete

We have a WCS and the most she has got up to is ~12 miles in the fells and with a weekly cap on running mileage of 20 miles. Think of them as mini athletes that need extra food, rest and recovery as well as a plan that builds them up to longer runs.

To add to Pete’s tip on paws we use Mushers Secret a couple of times a week. Also we don’t run in anything hotter than 15 degrees and have water on us at all times.

Happy running 😊

Yes - Mushers is good and I've also used Shaw's paw wax which was OK.
    Learnt my lesson the hard-way with damaged pads on day 2 of a one week holiday in the lakes...
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Ouch!

Another good tip we use is having our dog trained to the whistle and hand signals - these work when they spotted something like a skylark and are belting after it (could be speaking from experience..,) or when it’s super windy and they can’t hear the whistle or cue you’re giving them

Running with a cocker spaniel? Shouldn't this be in the Injuries forum?

So we have our crazy spaniel 5 months now and recoil coming on reasonably well using a whistle and treats. No chance around sheep unfortunately . One thing that is a battle is walking on a lead she pulls constantly so much so she foams at the mouth! We’re trying everything but no joy. We have been suggested to use a figure of 8 loop as a lead. Anyone tried this on a spaniel!!!

Hi Lux

Have you got your spaniel a harness so there is less pressure on their throat? Training wise you could look up :- https://www.stevemanndogtraining.com/ or https://absolute-dogs.com/

My wife is training to be a dog trainer and definitely doesnt recommend that lead or anything aversive or punishing for your spaniel. Generally as a breed they don’t react well to punishment; work with the intelligence that they have in buckets 😊

Rich

A harness would be soo much better. Agree with RichA that anything like that type of lead you have been suggested will cause more harm than good. You need to bond with your dog not alienate yourself.
    Obviously you need to work on recoil and walking to heel when required and you can do these in the house or garden without a lead. Otherwise, I'd go the opposite and encourage the dogs natural urges to explore and sniff out all kind of things on a walk with a long training line and not a short lead. Walks should be fun for both parties!

Cheers Pete - @lux harness wise we use a Ruffwear Front range one for normal walks / runs and the Web master for fells. The latter is cool as you can attach the lead and lower your dog done small crags etc for safety. There are other brands like Hurtta or Perfect Fit. Also your dog is still young so plenty of time to get the bond working perfectly 😁