Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ex Corona and running?

Banned

Ex Corona and running?

Im curious about others experiences.

It is now six weeks since I had corona, it went down into my lungs, with shortness of breath,dry coughing occasionally light coloured mucus, and it was like breathing through a narrow pipe. It felt like I was less than 50 percent lung function at its worst. It lasted 10 days , another 10 before I dared run.

But what about after? For me I had the usual post viral lethargy, lasted two to three weeks.

I’ve now been running for three weeks.
    But even after all this time, I still notice wheezing at the end of a run. Oddly it is worse after I have stopped, and evident that something still isn’t 100 percent. Not desperate, just noticeable.

How have others got on with corona recovering and running?
    Last edited by Oracle; 01-05-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Were you tested and had a proper diagnosis Oracle or are you assuming you had it due to your symptoms?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Shortly before the lockdown started i had a 24hr cold, with sore throat, and admittedly a bit of a cough for a few days.

Assumed it was coincidence... however the cough had been lingering to a small extent for several weeks... nothing too bad, just a tickle in the back of the throat, and similar to Oracle, only after a particularly hard run...

It may well have been coincidence, but i rarely get colds, let alone coughs, so i'd be unsurprised if i had had a fairly low level strain of it. Certainly doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on performance that i can see, and i "trained through" without any other issues at all.

I know of at least one other fellrunner who is utterly convinced they've had it twice... once in the new year period, and then caught again at the Aran British Champs race...

edit: i was not tested/diagnosed... just going off assumptions rather than medical evidence...
    Last edited by Travs; 01-05-2020 at 06:20 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Were you tested and had a proper diagnosis Oracle or are you assuming you had it due to your symptoms?
    No test. But those who get it badly know it can hardly be anything else.

The dry persistent cough. It is not the usual cough.
    The difficulty breathing is unlike anything else I ever had, you can tell your lungs are congested and not working,
    It wasn’t a cold: no running nose or sore throat.
    It wasnt flu. I’ve had bacterial lung infections and this mucus was a very different colour. This was more like pale translucent sticky saliva. It got progressively worse in the second week before clearing.

I understand that for those that get into serious trouble the mucus starts to harden.

This happened at a time when everyone said there must be a high temperature. Which advice was eventually changed. Long after many had had it but thought it might not be because of temperature.

Many we knew in portugal had had similar before the advice on symptom alerts were changed.
    It started in jan in Portugal. The first case I knew was the guy who manages my house over there. He was in a state but still working. At a time Portugal said it had 100 cases we seemed to know half of them.
    We met people in a lot of places who had the same cough.

The natural instinct to feeling rough is taking either paracetamol or ibuprofen for the duration, and to help sleep ( which is hard without sitting up) which probably masks the small temperature we had.

OH got it but fought it off after 4/5 days.

Portugal - just like U.K. - tells you not to contact medical services so nobody could report it.

As for isolation: after four or five days it is bad enough that you would not want to leave home.
    Last edited by Oracle; 01-05-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    No test. But those who get it badly know it can hardly be anything else.

The dry persistent cough. It is not the usual cough.
    The difficulty breathing is unlike anything else I ever had, you can tell your lungs are congested and not working,
    It wasn’t a cold: no running nose or sore throat.
    It wasnt flu. I’ve had bacterial lung infections and this mucus was a very different colour. This was more like pale translucent sticky saliva. It got progressively worse in the second week before clearing.

I understand that for those that get into serious trouble the mucus starts to harden.

This happened at a time when everyone said there must be a high temperature. Which advice was eventually changed. Long after many had had it but thought it might not be because of temperature.

Many we knew in portugal had had similar before the advice on symptom alerts were changed.
    It started in jan in Portugal. The first case I knew was the guy who manages my house over there. He was in a state but still working. At a time Portugal said it had 100 cases we seemed to know half of them.
    We met people in a lot of places who had the same cough.

The natural instinct to feeling rough is taking either paracetamol or ibuprofen for the duration, and to help sleep ( which is hard without sitting up) which probably masks the small temperature we had.

OH got it but fought it off after 4/5 days.

Portugal - just like U.K. - tells you not to contact medical services so nobody could report it.

As for isolation: after four or five days it is bad enough that you would not want to leave home.
    Oh Oracle! I was waiting for the punch line, like:

I'm just glad to be feeling better. I really thought I'd be seeing Elvis soon.

(Bob Dylan)
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Banned
    The dry persistent cough. It is not the usual cough. Yep had that.
    It wasn’t a cold: no running nose or sore throat. Agreed
    It wasnt flu. I’ve had bacterial lung infections and this mucus was a very different colour. This was more like pale translucent sticky saliva. It got progressively worse in the second week. Just the same as me.

I had all the similar symptoms to you Oracle. Mine was the 2nd and 3rd weeks of February.

I wasn't in any training at the time but my sleep was drastically affected.

Up to 13hours on so weekends and no drive or inclination to do anything.

Training is now improving but I still get at least 2 really sleepy night/days per week which are tough to deal with.

11th March for me.
    At the time I didn't think it was. I'd have said 10% chance or less.
    Now, looking at the rate of spread even with lockdown, I think it's greater than 50% and Mrs WP had similar symptoms around the same time.
    Tickly cough only after exercise t he developed in to a sore throat, worse overnight and when getting up, easing during day, but sticking with me for close to 2 weeks.
    A very slightly raised temperature, not a fever. Feeling as if I was coming down with something but never quite did.
    A little phlegm over the period of the sore throat.
    One day, the 13th, I felt completely wiped out.

As Mrs WP had been off for 5 weeks I mostly walked with her for my exercise, long walks, but not pushing myself aerobically, so haven't experienced any lasting symptoms.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Best just be thankfull you have all recovered from whatever you had and get on with life, but without medical confirmation remember you are working on assumptions so I wouldn`t be letting my guard down.

Stay safe
    The older I get the Faster I was

Just hitting the news today, looks like France have now confirmation for December Covid cases (only surprise is that we haven't heard earlier and haven't heard similar for UK.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...-Macron-latest

and yes I know it's the Express, but I saw it on Twitter from Katya Adler, the BBC's EU correspondent and so checked it out and most of the articles are in French so far.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    We have been musing over whether my wife had Covid as a result of Boris calling an election in December. Let me explain.

There is a fortnightly Chinese-language (Mandarin) prayer meeting at our church. Meetings are on Thursday evenings. On election day the church building was used as a polling station, so we offered our house as an alternative venue. My wife attended the meeting (she doesn't usually, but she is reasonably fluent in Mandarin, although her first language is a different Chinese dialect), and for a couple of weeks afterwards she was feeling rather ill. The worst symptom was her sore throat; when she heard a Covid survivor on the radio describing how it felt like he had broken glass in his throat, she said that is what she felt like.

It is likely that at least one of the other attendees at the meeting had recently been to China, or had been in contact with someone else who had recently been to China. WP's post above suggests that Covid may have been around for longer than we had thought, and it certainly seems plausible that it was in China for a long time before they admitted anything.

Pure speculation, of course, but . . .
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges