Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lockdown reading

I don't read very many books except when we go away on holiday when its nice to do different things.

David Attenborough, My Life on Air, about his life at the BBC, what an amazing chap he is, but then I suppose we knew that anyway.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

The Double Life of Bob Dylan Volume 1 1941-66 A Restless Hungry Feeling Clinton Heylin

Of books about Dylan there is no end but Heylin's books are the best and this book is probably his best.

The most comprehensive book on any artist(s) in rock music is (the late) Johnny Rogan's two volumes on The Byrds, Requiem For The Timeless, which runs to 2448 pages.

Given that Heylin's Volume 1 is a mere 520 pages and only reaches 1966 I would expect subsequent volumes to eclipse Rogan's magnum opus; and rightly so for the most important artist in rock music.

I hope Heylin lives long enough to finish it and I live long enough to read it.

Heylin has never worn his erudition lightly - to the chagrin of lesser writers on Dylan - and Michael Gray (a good writer) has complained that Heylin's "notorious belittling and quarrelling with almost everyone else in the field is unnecessary".

Well maybe so, but he does it with a sharp wit and style; and it is great fun!
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 28-04-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    The most comprehensive book on any artist(s) in rock music is (the late) Johnny Rogan's two volumes on The Byrds, Requiem For The Timeless, which runs to 2448 pages.
    Not surprised he's now late, writing 2448 pages would have finished me off!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Just finished reading "A Golden Age of Cycling" A Gentleman's adventure on two wheels 1924-1933 (Edited by Shaun Sewell)

Charles James Pope - what a man and what a mileage...

Spent lockdown reading (amongst other things) In Search of Lost Time, by Proust. 7 volumes and about 4000 pages. Not sure I'd reccomend it, but glad to have finished.

Ironically in lockdown, without the dead time of my daily 3.5 hour commute to and from Leeds, I’ve had far less time for reading than normal. In the last year though I have read or re-read all 5 (so far) of the Robert (or should I say JK?) Galbraith Strike novels, which are fantastic and knock the still pretty good BBC adaptation out of the park

I’ve also re-read Lord of the Rings, which is almost an annual thing for me and kept up to date with the Date with D.... novels of Julia Chapman, our local author hereabouts. Her books follow the adventures of an ex-copper Samson, who now runs a detective agency, and Delilah the daughter of a sheep farmer who runs a dating agency.... but also helps Samson with his detecting. It’s set in Bruncliffe which is actually Settle in all but name and is lighthearted and fun primarily, but with local criminality and murders afoot. It’s exactly like real life in fact in Settle....

I’ve also just finished Sicily ‘43 by James Holland, the account of the allied invasion of Sicily in the summer of 1943. Which was pretty good as these things go - it was still tricky to follow exactly who was where and what division or battle group they were in but at the same time it covered a little before mentioned and key invasion of WWII with lots of detail

Next up.... Date with Deceit
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 28-04-2021 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Ironically in lockdown, without the dead time of my daily 3.5 hour commute to and from Leeds, I’ve had far less time for reading than normal. In the last year though I have read or re-read all 5 (so far) of the Robert (or should I say JK?) Galbraith Strike novels, which are fantastic and knock the still pretty good BBC adaptation out of the park

I’ve also re-read Lord of the Rings, which is almost an annual thing for me and kept up to date with the Date with D.... novels of Julia Chapman, our local author hereabouts. Her books follow the adventures of an ex-copper Samson, who now runs a detective agency, and Delilah the daughter of a sheep farmer who runs a dating agency.... but also helps Samson with his detecting. It’s set in Bruncliffe which is actually Settle in all but name and is lighthearted and fun primarily, but with local criminality and murders afoot. It’s exactly like real life in fact in Settle....

I’ve also just finished Sicily ‘43 by James Holland, the account of the allied invasion of Sicily in the summer of 1943. Which was pretty good as these things go - it was still tricky to follow exactly who was where and what division or battle group they were in but at the same time it covered a little before mentioned and key invasion of WWII with lots of detail

Next up.... Date with Deceit
    Perhaps, being local, you may feature in a future novel.

Date with a Drone!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Perhaps, being local, you may feature in a future novel.

Date with a Drone!
    That would be her finest work. In other news after extensive study of the drone flying code I passed my drone on-line exam the other day and now am the proud owner of a registered drone Flyer’s ID card that lasts for 5 years. As well as my drone owners ID of course, which has to be renewed annually

A dozen drone sorties flown now and still no kills to report
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 28-04-2021 at 01:57 PM.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Spent lockdown reading (amongst other things) In Search of Lost Time, by Proust. 7 volumes and about 4000 pages. Not sure I'd reccomend it, but glad to have finished.
    7 volumes? 4,000 pages? Sounds like lost time indeed!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    War and Peace: a retirement gift from my Russian head of department (but at least he bought me an English translation). Four volumes, less than 1400 pages, so Tolstoy doesn't lose as much time as Proust. I have decided to pause it after two volumes, and am currently reading Robert Macfarlane's The Old Ways.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges