Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LONGNOR... where were you!

Re: LONGNOR... where were you!

Leading results:1.jack ross 2.jase burgess 3.andy wilton 4.gareth briggs (all Staffs Moorlands)
    Last edited by gazb; 08-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Results:1.jack ross 2.jase burgess 3.andy wilton 4.gareth briggs (all Staffs Moorlands)
    I'm sure I saw Simon Bailey win this when he was about 12 years old!

It's on again - TONIGHT!!! - 6.30'ish Start.. Be there if you can at least once in your life :thumbup:...
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Once upon a time in the late 1970's and early 1980's I stumbled on this event courtesy of Buxton AC's Norman Taylor. On one occasion, I took the afternoon off work and found myself in the pub (all day drinking BEFORE all day drinking!) slightly drunk and playing intense dominoes. Accused of cheating by a drunken local, we left for the showfield. From the beer tent we found the Longnor Mile race start and after 3 or 4 laps, I finished 2nd. A local paper had a picture showing this bleary eyed runner in jeans and Dennis the Menace T-shirt crossing the line. His brother dutifully holding out his pint pot whilst the official timed me in. Needless to say I had more to drink and failed to enter the 4 mile event which Longnor born Andy Wilton won yet again. Later we retired to another Longnor pub, the electric failed, the candles came out, beer was drunk, young farmers settled their grievances in the toilets (blood everywhere!)and when peace settled a good night was had. Longnor remains a great memory and I still have the picture.

That's a great story alf! If punk rock did fell running...

Quote Originally Posted by alf.t View Post
    Once upon a time in the late 1970's and early 1980's I stumbled on this event courtesy of Buxton AC's Norman Taylor. On one occasion, I took the afternoon off work and found myself in the pub (all day drinking BEFORE all day drinking!) slightly drunk and playing intense dominoes. Accused of cheating by a drunken local, we left for the showfield. From the beer tent we found the Longnor Mile race start and after 3 or 4 laps, I finished 2nd. A local paper had a picture showing this bleary eyed runner in jeans and Dennis the Menace T-shirt crossing the line. His brother dutifully holding out his pint pot whilst the official timed me in. Needless to say I had more to drink and failed to enter the 4 mile event which Longnor born Andy Wilton won yet again. Later we retired to another Longnor pub, the electric failed, the candles came out, beer was drunk, young farmers settled their grievances in the toilets (blood everywhere!)and when peace settled a good night was had. Longnor remains a great memory and I still have the picture.
    Norman Taylor was one of the heroes of running - he was a mate of John Tarrant (The Ghost Runner)and knew all there was to know about running. He introduced me to fell running round about 25 years ago and Longnor Races was the one to do - I recall running round the showfield in 6 inches of mud and that was before the exit onto the hills!

Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Norman Taylor was one of the heroes of running - he was a mate of John Tarrant (The Ghost Runner)and knew all there was to know about running. He introduced me to fell running round about 25 years ago and Longnor Races was the one to do - I recall running round the showfield in 6 inches of mud and that was before the exit onto the hills!
    The late Norman Taylor encouraged many and his clever cartoons tickled too. I have a distant memory of a cross country that he organised in Buxton, around Temple? Woods/Grinlow Tower?. We changed in a building within the grounds of an old hospital, deep in the winter, in the late 70s. Norman, Bill Moss, Chris Bent, Mike Cudahey and a few others made the number upto about 20. The snow whistled around on a brisk wind as we started. Bill Moss wore a fleece!. 3 laps of increasing hell. The wind increased and the snow settled and as the tree branches crashed down, runners dropped out. Less than 5 finished. I ran the course in football boots, singlet and shorts, I was 13 years old and it was 1977. Character building stuff with some great characters, Norman being the chief one. He encouraged us to his 'Foot Races' in Longnor and it always felt like I had gone back in time.