Thread: Diaphragm strain

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Diaphragm strain

Pain around the bottom of my right ribcage at the front, also at the back, and also in my right shoulder. I could breathe normally, but any attempt to take a deep breath was too painful. This started yesterday morning, and eventually in the evening I got a telephone consultation using NHS111. The conclusion was that there was a strain of the diaphragm, which would probably sort itself out after a good night's sleep. The latter was not as simple as it sounded, as the pain got quite severe after I went to bed; it was 2:20am when I eventually got up to find some paracetamol.

After that I did sleep well (and woke up after 10:00am!), and it does seem to have sorted itself out; only very mild pain occasionally today.

But I have no idea what caused it; certainly not over-strenuous exercise, as I am still being rather circumspect due to my dodgy calves. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Pain around the bottom of my right ribcage at the front, also at the back, and also in my right shoulder. I could breathe normally, but any attempt to take a deep breath was too painful. This started yesterday morning, and eventually in the evening I got a telephone consultation using NHS111. The conclusion was that there was a strain of the diaphragm, which would probably sort itself out after a good night's sleep. The latter was not as simple as it sounded, as the pain got quite severe after I went to bed; it was 2:20am when I eventually got up to find some paracetamol.

After that I did sleep well (and woke up after 10:00am!), and it does seem to have sorted itself out; only very mild pain occasionally today.

But I have no idea what caused it; certainly not over-strenuous exercise, as I am still being rather circumspect due to my dodgy calves. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
    All injuries feel worse at 2-3am, depending on your body clock. That's when your body moves in to repair tissue which usually means swelling occurs. With pain over such a large area all at once you can probably rule out spinal nerve impingement, my two penneth would be a fascia strain. Might be worth a blood test at the docs to check for abnormal levels.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent