Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wainwright

My first Lakeland fell was Loughrigg Fell. Stayed at Neaum Crag between Skelwith and Ambleside, and went up there most days.

First "big" fell was Pike O Blisco the same week. Well it felt like a big day out at the time. (up via the Blea Tarn Road and down via Red Tarn and Oxendale).

That same week we climbed Catbells, Maiden Moor, High Spy in glorious weather. I remember throwing a bit of a tantrum because my mum wouldn't let me complete the horseshoe round Dale Head and Hindscarth on my own as she said it was too far!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    It was 90 years ago today Wainwright at the age of 23 made his first trip to the lakes and up Orrest head which was where it all started for him
    In winter we train our juniors from the Phoenix dirt track in Windermere, and often take them up to Orrest Head, which they love. The views at sunset and at night can be superb - for so little work! But we do get them doing hill reps on the descent.

After vowing in the opening post that i'd never touch the updated versions of the Wainwright books... i purchased the book for my local fells (Far Eastern) a couple of weekends back, after finding myself in Keswick having ran down off Skiddaw (of course, not before visiting the Keswickian Chippy first).

Solely for the updated paths on what is still a remote area of the Lakes in parts, it has been a worthy purchase, given the time i spend on those fells.

But i'm still adamant that i won't touch the other updated books.

Been in love with the books from boyhood, still have pride of place on the bookshelves. Was only the other day I was flicking through the Central Fells trying to piece together Sargent Man, High Raise and Thunacar Knott, ground Im not familiar with at all... Proved invaluable and spot on.
    Saving the Outlying Fells for when I retire... I also loved the series he did with that bloke off Look North in the late 80's or possibly early 90's, I was a young spotty teenager at the time and most of my weekends would be doing a fell or 2 from his books, happy days

I think 'the bloke off Look North' you refer to may be Eric Robson??
    If so, I remember it too; it was good TV

That's him, for some reason I was thinking Alan... You're correct though!
    Derry Brabbs, now that's a name nobody will forget, also synonymous with AW