Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strava now charging?

Banned

Strava now charging?

Strava now seem to be charging, To compare past performances on segments or routes:
    it was free!

At47.99 pa I think they are pitching too high. At £10 a year I think all would do it.

I think £47.99 per annum is good value. My Sky subscription is more than that per month and I get far more satisfaction and enjoyment out of Strava than I do Sky!

In fact, unless football takes this lockdown as an opportunity to sort itself out, which I doubt it will, I shall be not be renewing my agreement with Sky.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Strava now seem to be charging, To compare past performances on segments or routes:
    it was free!

At47.99 pa I think they are pitching too high. At £10 a year I think all would do it.
    Really? I would have thought a rich landlord, entrepreneur, "fat cat" like yourself would consider £479.90 pa small change?

Last edited by Graham Breeze; 31-05-2020 at 07:37 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    it was free!

I'm with you. I'd have paid a smaller fee from a few months in as I find it interesting, but not riveting enough to pay the extra.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I was adamant I was not going to pay for premium but there is quite a lot now missing from the free version that I find useful. The segment analysis, leader boards, GAP and comparing previous runs/rides over the same route have all gone to subscription only as has the route planner. I know £48 is a lot to stump up in one go but its only half the price of a decent pair of fell shoes and less than a pound a week so on that basis I'm going to pay. Have to agree that if they had made it more reasonable (or even allowed a monthly subscription at a lower rate), they would probably have had more take up.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Really? I would have thought a rich landlord, entrepreneur, "fat cat" like yourself would consider £479.90 pa small change?

If he actually is any of those things - he hides behind the cloak of anonymity. Not even alluding to his location with deft of hand reminiscent of M Wakefield

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    If he actually is any of those things - he hides behind the cloak of anonymity. Not even alluding to his location with deft of hand reminiscent of M Wakefield
    Indeed. I can't be doing with all this anonymity.

Even when I was forced to use a pseudonym so my private views were not understood to be official FRA policy I used lots of colons and semi-colons, etc so people knew it was really me.

PS It is a true story that when Tony Varley was the FRA Treasurer he found someone paying their annual FRA subscription every month - presumably still thinking it was good value for money. Obviously not Oracle though.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 31-05-2020 at 04:37 PM.

I don’t think he will he outing himself anytime soon...

Idiosyncratic punctuation can be a straightforward way to identify someone. Mine would the overuse of hyphens.

Paying the FRA annual membership monthly are definitely the actions of a fat cat - though arguably still value for money 😊

I don’t mind the light version of Strava as it does what I want with the subscription version still being very reasonable

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed. I can't be doing with all this anonymity.

Even when I was forced to use a pseudonym so my private views were not understood to be official FRA policy I used lots of colons and semi-colons, etc so people knew it was really me.

PS It is a true story that when Tony Varley was the FRA Treasurer he found someone paying their annual FRA subscription every month - presumably still thinking it was good value for money. Obviously not Oracle though.
    A pseudonym , as in one? Do you not splutter in your beer as you say it?
    Or is that waiting for the flying duck to re open? Or is it pigs not ducks that are flying! :-)

..or two...