Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strava now charging?

It's an interesting business model. Run a startup business cash -ve until you've got people so hooked on the product they think they can't live without it, then claw the losses back in a year by introducing subscriptions. So many people just won't be able to imagine their lives without Strava...and me? I'm reaping the rewards of living in the age of dial-up.
    Can't climb for toffee...

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Strava now seem to be charging, To compare past performances on segments or routes:
    it was free!

At47.99 pa I think they are pitching too high. At £10 a year I think all would do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's an interesting business model. Run a startup business cash -ve until you've got people so hooked on the product they think they can't live without it, then claw the losses back in a year by introducing subscriptions. So many people just won't be able to imagine their lives without Strava...and me? I'm reaping the rewards of living in the age of dial-up.
    Yep suprising how many people still think there is such a thing as a FREE LUNCH and then twine when they realise the truth.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Interesting that I've used Facebook for around 14 years now and Twitter for approaching 7 and as yet no word of any subscription, so it isn't essential for a model and I wonder if Strava would be better placed trying to stay free to use as it has been, only charge for enhanced services and using it's database to sell.
    I can quite imagine in the UK a tie up with the likes of Wiggle, Decathlon, Go Outdoors.... might work.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Iíve just got my first ever smart watch (mainly for HR zones) I doubt Iíll sign up to strava though, Iíve always been a fan of the clunky geekiness of attackpoint. I know you can sync to that for a small charge

I must say, I have been reticent to sign up in the past as it seemed unnecessary. Then I noticed the gradual taking away of features I like and use.
    last week I signed up to subscription and immediately have made use of one of its key features, Beacon. This has provided a sense of reassurance to my family when I set out for long rides before dawn. They (3 young children) like following me and checking where I am. It provides a comfort to my wife also.
    I see it as fair play; I've used it for free for many years, so I'm paying for time already used as well as the present.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I’ve just got my first ever smart watch (mainly for HR zones) I doubt I’ll sign up to strava though, I’ve always been a fan of the clunky geekiness of attackpoint. I know you can sync to that for a small charge
    +1 for AP. $25 a year, run out of a blokes garage and no kudos at all!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Maybe I am different, but I am more likely to sign up for a service that charges a "reasonable" monetary fee than one which doesn't directly charge me money but sells my data/information instead.

That said, I haven't signed up for Strava as it doesn't offer me anything I want which I can't do with my own offline tools.