Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2230313233 LastLast

Thread: All lives matter.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post

2+2 can equally whatever you want it to.
    A mathematician, an engineer and an accountant were asked, "What does 2+2 equal?".

The mathematician said "4".

The engineer tapped away at his calculator, and then said "4.00, to three significant figures".

The accountant said "What do you want it to equal?".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    A mathematician, an engineer and an accountant were asked, "What does 2+2 equal?".

The engineer tapped away at his calculator, and then said "4.00, to three significant figures".

Whoever said mathematicians couldn't display wit.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

A mathematician and an engineer were stood on one side of a room, with a beautiful woman on the other. They were told that with each step they could cover half the remaining distance between themself and the woman. The mathematician worked out that he would never reach her, the engineer that after three steps he would be close enough for all practical purposes.

In the mathematics joke theme...

Did you hear about the mathematician who had constipation? He worked it out with a pencil

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    A mathematician and an engineer were stood on one side of a room, with a beautiful woman on the other. They were told that with each step they could cover half the remaining distance between themself and the woman. The mathematician worked out that he would never reach her, the engineer that after three steps he would be close enough for all practical purposes.
    I like that

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    From

https://www.hoover.org/research/seat...-behindseattle

"Just how bad is CaliforniaÂ’s student math performance? You can judge for yourself, based on the following question that was asked to 11th graders: Add the square root of 16 and the third root of 8.
    The square root of 16 is 4 (4 x 4) and the third root of 8 is 2 (2 x 2 x 2). Four plus two is six. Doable for a 17-year old who has been taking mathematics, yes?"

I would like to think that when I was a 17 year old who had been taking mathematics I would have given a more complete answer to this question.
    As a maths teacher I find the concept that numbers are racist bonkers. However I do think it’s important to teach that the history of maths/science isn’t a purely White Western male discipline. It’s important for children to see examples of themselves in what they learn. Part of the curriculum now includes “cultural capital” and it’s provides a good time to fit in that Arabic cultures/Asian cultures/women etc can do maths as well. And that different cultures think and represent number differently.

A cool representation of that is Japanese multiplication https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gngvWShRgX4

Banned
    When/if the police stop and question/search coloured people is it racist, stereotypical or doing there job.

I do agree everyone could do more BUT so could the gangs with knives and drug gangs.

Tough call.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    A cool representation of that is Japanese multiplication https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gngvWShRgX4
    There's something very dodgy about this. None of the digits multiplied is bigger than 3, so the multiplication of two of these digits only ever yields a one-digit result (i.e. between 0 and 9. Looks like the method wouldn't work for, say, 58 x 46.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

There's something very dodgy about this. None of the digits multiplied is bigger than 3, so the multiplication of two of these digits only ever yields a one-digit result (i.e. between 0 and 9. Looks like the method wouldn't work for, say, 58 x 46.
    That's what I thought at first, but there is one example where there is a carry.

Banned