Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: All lives matter.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    And to Lancashire too. Barnoldswick and surrounding areas used to belong to the old West Riding. Bet they were gutted!
    Of course, a logical Yorks/Lancs boundary should follow the watershed; which it almost does in the Barlick area, although Earby should be back in Yorkshire.

Anyone for the Lancashire Three Peaks Race? [Pen-y-Ghent on the county boundary, the other two definitely in Lancs.]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Anyone for the Lancashire Three Peaks Race? [Pen-y-Ghent on the county boundary, the other two definitely in Lancs.]
    That's an interesting observation, I wasn't aware of that but I am half Lancastrian by birth.

Apologies for my part in dragging this thread off-topic, but it did make it somewhat more interesting.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Of course, a logical Yorks/Lancs boundary should follow the watershed; which it almost does in the Barlick area, although Earby should be back in Yorkshire.

But in the context of eg Alsace and Lorraine: who knows for how long?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Everyone picks on Middlesbrough! Logically the obvious northern boundary of Yorkshire would be the Tees Valley, but for reasons I never understood it became Cleveland, then Tees Valley now a Unitary authority , whatever that is. Anyway apparently still a part of Yorkshire for "Ceremonial purposes" ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    But in the context of eg Alsace and Lorraine: who knows for how long?
    We have experience of this in my family, but from further east. My ancestors on my mother's side lived in places such as Breslau, Oppeln and Waldenburg. You won't find any of these on a modern map, although you may be able to find Wrocław, Opole and Wałbrzych (but you might not be able to pronounce the last of those ).
    Last edited by anthonykay; 02-07-2020 at 12:14 PM.
    Jorge Luis Borges

[Pen-y-Ghent on the county boundary, the other two definitely in Lancs.]
    But you wouldn't cross to the dark side on PYG
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

How dare you sir! Wait until Stagger sees this, I'm sure he will demand satisfaction.

Actually Whernside's summit is on the modern day border between Yorkshire and Cumbria, although of course it was undeniably fully part of Yorkshire pre 1974. The other two are most definitely in Yorkshire, whichever date you take although I suppose it is understandable that jealous counties with inferior landscapes like Lancashire might covet them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    How dare you sir! Wait until Stagger sees this, I'm sure he will demand satisfaction.

Actually Whernside's summit is on the modern day border between Yorkshire and Cumbria, although of course it was undeniably fully part of Yorkshire pre 1974. The other two are most definitely in Yorkshire, whichever date you take although I suppose it is understandable that jealous counties with inferior landscapes like Lancashire might covet them.
    I still think boundaries should make hydrological sense. If you stand on top of either Whernside or Ingleborough and relieve yourself, you will be polluting Morecambe Bay, whichever way you are facing. If you relieve yourself on top of Pen-y-Ghent, you have the choice of polluting either the Humber or the Ribble estuary.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I still think boundaries should make hydrological sense. If you stand on top of either Whernside or Ingleborough and relieve yourself, you will be polluting Morecambe Bay, whichever way you are facing. If you relieve yourself on top of Pen-y-Ghent, you have the choice of polluting either the Humber or the Ribble estuary.
    I'll make sure I hold it for Whernside or Ingleborough next time I'm up there. Thanks for the advice

You'll have no choice about the 14 days in the slammer!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog