Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    so why not take the Auschwitz approach and put some text around such a statue explaining the history?
    Because Auschwitz is a specific place with a specific context and a role to play in educating people about humanity's past mistakes. A statue of a slave-master is a statue of a slave-master. The history of slavery can be explained without a statue looming above people out doing their shopping.
    Geoff Clarke

but they look like a bunch of nutjobs to me, using race as a front for a wider agenda.
    That's your take on the BLM movement?
    Geoff Clarke

But then drill down to the real motivations of BLM and you can see they have a hidden agenda and all things are not they seem
    I have read this and other information sources about BLM and don’t think there is a hidden agenda. What do you think that BLM have in mind?

Black communities are hardest hit by the Coronavirus pandemic. Black people are dying at up to four times the rate of their white counterparts. This is racism. (My bold)
    If Black people make up 3.3% of the population yet have a mortality rate 4 times that of their white colleagues in the NHS, surely this indicates systemic racism? White people make up 79.2% of the NHS for reference.

BLM are not nutjobs rather they are people like you and me with genuine, long held grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Because Auschwitz is a specific place with a specific context and a role to play in educating people about humanity's past mistakes. A statue of a slave-master is a statue of a slave-master. The history of slavery can be explained without a statue looming above people out doing their shopping.
    Well said Hank - there is a lot of dog whistle politics on some threads and it needs calling out

Master
    so why not take the Auschwitz approach and put some text around such a statue explaining the history?
    A decision had been made to put up a plaque explaining the context of the statue, but they could not agree on the wording.

The Romans were masters of slavery and "What did the Romans ever do for us"? Taught us Brits about slaves and slavery perhaps?

During the period of Roman imperial expansion, the increase in wealth amongst the Roman elite and the substantial growth of slavery transformed the economy.[19] Although the economy was dependent on slavery, Rome was not the most slave-dependent culture in history. Among the Spartans, for instance, the slave class of helots outnumbered the free by about seven to one, according to Herodotus.[20] In any case, the overall role of slavery in Roman economy is a discussed issue among scholars.

So nothing very new there, but I wonder how the Roman slave trade and those who benefitted from it are viewed by the world, should the colosseum be bulldozed to the ground for the part it played in forcing slaves to their gory deaths by various means?

I am not justifying anything, but pondering how far back into history we go and the lengths we should go to in order to erase the past from our streets.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

There is a difference of context though - prior to the early medieval age it was a social norm that if your people were defeated in battle you died or were enslaved. This was not about a specific race or people - though this could have an influence on the decision to go to war. Rome is interesting as they had a system to free slaves.

BLM calls upon the specific case of slavery that was driven by economics and specifically the British Empire. At the height of slavery 800k were the backbone of the sugar, cocoa and coffee trade. The disadvantages from this period continue to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    That's your take on the BLM movement?
    Based on what I read on their go fund me page yes.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    What do the BLM protest actually want?

Based on what I read on their go fund me page yes.
    In that case, especially given current events, I'd highly recommend reading up on it. You might find it illuminating. Labeling its supporters "nutjobs" is massively offensive and I think it's pretty embarrassing to see stuff like that on this forum.
    Geoff Clarke