Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: All lives matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    The demographics are certainly white working male.

I don't agree with positive discrimination but they are totally one sided.

Your comment about dustbin men is crackers.

Common sense should take place.

85% white male is unacceptable in 2020
    My comment isn't crackers. I assume you think so because you assume women wouldn't want to do the job and if that's the case we agree, but you then assume they would want a job in the pit lane, possibly travelling overseas 20+ times a year and spending 6 months away from home.

But how about primary school teachers? 75% are women? I don't see a campaign to balance that up. Or the 30k + social workers in childrens and family services that are 86% female?

We'll have to just differ on this Trev. I appreciate where you are coming from, but I think that some jobs just aren't interesting to some demographics and I am wary of these quota systems trying to shoehorn people in to jobs based on things other than their desire and qualifications to do it.
    Can of worms.
    Last edited by Witton Park; 29-06-2020 at 05:58 PM.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Equal justice for all?

The moronic Liverpool supporter who threw a firework at the Liver building, that may or may not have been the one that caused £10,000 of damage, and put the safety of others in danger has been bailed.

The idiot who had a pee against a wall, causing no danger to others or damage, during a demonstration to stand up for Britain, gets an instant 14 day prison sentence.

Fair? I don't think so.

The Mayor of Liverpool commented, with a straight face, that he feared that the supporters who attacked the police and ignored the lockdown restrictions were in danger of giving the city and club a bad name.

40 odd years too late matey. Leopards don't change their spots!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I work in Engineering/Construction. Started in the industry in 2000, it has always been male-dominated and continues to be so...

At college there were approx 35 started on the road to a HNC, only two of those were female. This wittled down to the final year when there were only 12-15 of us left, of which 1 was female.

Since then, i think i've crossed paths with one female who was in a "non admin" role, or not a client representative. Admittedly now that i'm more on the design/sales/pre-construction side, i do find more women in these roles.

My current company is very forward-thinking and progressive. I am amazed at the lengths they have gone with regard to employee safety with regard to Corona. But even here, there are absolutely no women outside of the accounts/admin roles.

I know there have been various intiatives over the years to entice women into Engineering, often via University/degrees... I recall right throughout the 2000's my office had topless calendars up (and in the very early 2000's you could smoke in the office... one end "the smokers corner", was a permanent black cloud!)... things have changed massively since then, but i just think that some careers appeal in different ways to men and women.
    Last edited by Travs; 29-06-2020 at 05:31 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    My comments isn't crackers. I assume you think so because you assume women wouldn't want to do the job and if that's the case we agree, but you then assume they would want a job in the pit lane, possibly travelling overseas 20+ times a year and spending 6 months away from home.

But how about primary school teachers? 75% are women? I don't see a campaign to balance that up. Or the 30k + social workers in childrens and family services that are 86% female?

We'll have to just differ on this Trev. I appreciate where you are coming from, but I think that some jobs just aren't interesting to some demographics and I am wary of these quota systems trying to shoehorn people in to jobs based on things other than their desire and qualifications to do it.
    Can of worms.
    At Loughborough University we support various schemes to get more women into science and engineering, as I imagine most universities do.

I have been teaching maths to a class of students on Electrical and Electronic Engineering and other related degree programmes for the last three years. I think there were 6 women out of a class of about 80 this year. The class of Physics students I was teaching had around 20% women. On maths degree programmes it is over 30% women in most years.

But a few years ago I looked at first-year class lists for some other departments. English and Drama: 14% men. Psychology: 16% men. But there is no effort that I know of to get more men studying these subjects.

Interestingly, Sport and Exercise Science, which Loughborough is particularly renowned for, had an almost exact 50/50 split between men and women.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    My comments isn't crackers. I assume you think so because you assume women wouldn't want to do the job and if that's the case we agree, but you then assume they would want a job in the pit lane, possibly travelling overseas 20+ times a year and spending 6 months away from home.

Can of worms.
    Equal opportunities not necessarily equal participation.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    At Loughborough University we support various schemes to get more women into science and engineering, as I imagine most universities do.

I have been teaching maths to a class of students on Electrical and Electronic Engineering and other related degree programmes for the last three years. I think there were 6 women out of a class of about 80 this year. The class of Physics students I was teaching had around 20% women. On maths degree programmes it is over 30% women in most years.

But a few years ago I looked at first-year class lists for some other departments. English and Drama: 14% men. Psychology: 16% men. But there is no effort that I know of to get more men studying these subjects.

Interestingly, Sport and Exercise Science, which Loughborough is particularly renowned for, had an almost exact 50/50 split between men and women.
    My daughter is 29 and a 2nd year PHD Psychology at Lancaster UNI/NHS.

She's observed a real lack of men in the profession and in training, but where they are they tend to have pursued their career and hold senior positions in academia or in the workplace.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Equal opportunities not necessarily equal participation.
    I agree that should be the case and I think it largely is.
    Richard Taylor
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    "Black lives matter" is ok
    "White lives matter" is racist.

According to Coventry police.

Is it racist to say 'coloured lives matter', perhaps we should say 'lives of colour matter' or just stick with the thread title All Lives Matter and stop trying to discriminate and partition people.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    "Black lives matter" is ok
    "White lives matter" is racist.

According to Coventry police.
    My brother is the journalist associated with this story. (well, to be precise, his name is on the internet article that i saw, i have no idea whether he wrote the article).

I must admit i haven't read the full article... in his role he usually only covers the big and more interesting criminal cases in the area. And the newspaper's website is riddled with adverts etc, and very unwieldy.

But whatever the rights and wrongs in the article, it still appears to be vandalism.