Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Deciding to go for it

Thanks Bob! That’s interesting to know. I guess we could speculate wildly on the reasons!

[QUOTE=matthew;662435]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Are you able to tell me your age or even which age group you are in?[/QUOTE

34, any particular reason?
    When I have a few weeks of injury free running I daydream of giving it ago and then I'll do a race or a fast effort and get injured again. Your post, especially "I'm going to invest the time, build slowly and get there" struck a chord with me.
    I then wondered how old you were and if you were running out of time like me, I'm 61, but pleased to find that at 34 you are only a whippersnapper with plenty of time on your side.

I'll have to quickly decide whether to give up all competitive running and just concentrate on long and slow runs when I get rid of the latest niggle!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I sincerely hope time isn’t running out! But I also want to do something which isn’t constantly trying to get faster, just to boost a few places in a race, which then leaves me injured. It’s about getting back to what I love, which is time in the mountains not running repeats up the nearest bit of steep road (although I imagine I’ll end up doing that as well!). Looking back when I’m 70 odd, I’m not going to remember the times I’ve run, but something like the Bob or Paddy or Ramsey, that’s going to be different. I guess I’m seeing it as an investment, if I put the time in I’ll get something back worth more than 30secs off a 10k time!

Average age of a successful BG completer is 37 1/2. The most common age, fittingly, is 42. I was 46 when I did mine. The annual summary shows age spread, I post it here and on the Club's website.

I checked on the average finishing time per month and surprisingly there isn't much variation, between 22h40m and 23h40m but nothing showing that midsummer times are statistically faster than midwinter ones though of course winter Rounds are somewhat self-selecting in that most (all?) who attempt them have something significant in reserve.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Average age of a successful BG completer is 37 1/2. The most common age, fittingly, is 42. I was 46 when I did mine. The annual summary shows age spread, I post it here and on the Club's website.

I checked on the average finishing time per month and surprisingly there isn't much variation, between 22h40m and 23h40m but nothing showing that midsummer times are statistically faster than midwinter ones though of course winter Rounds are somewhat self-selecting in that most (all?) who attempt them have something significant in reserve.

Bob

As you know I am not terribly interested in the BGR but I am always impressed with your statistics!

Graham
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 19-06-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Bob

As you know I am not terribly interested in the BGR but I am always impressed with your statistics!

Graham
    Cheers Graham. <teaser>Just wait </teaser>

Actually, you might have to, getting this current lot of data into the database is taking a long time - I started on 1st May and am currently 40% of the way through!
    Last edited by Bob; 19-06-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

September probably has twice the hours of darkness, even in the most fantastic of weather, than June and on average the weather will probably be wetter and cloudier in September

Mmmm...I'll try to go for June/July then. It seems to make sense and the data points that way so I'll go with that.

I've got myself a calender and plotted some training blocks
    This summer I've hopefully a week in Langdale (legs 3/4 and look at Broadstand [I am a climber so we'll see]), a week in Wasdale (legs 3/4, do a few repeats on Yewbarrow to get the measure of it), a week in Glen Nevis (get some hill climbing in!)

Then Oct half term we have a cottage in Thornthwaite so look at Legs 1/2/5, and I'll connect legs 1/2 on a longer day at BGR pace. After this I'll give recces a break and will aim to do longer things in my native Northumberland (McWilliams round etc), Feb half term I'll try to have a couple of longer back to back hill days.

Easter holidays, spend both weeks in the lakes, getting big weeks of up/down in. And maybe try to get a long weekend with the wife walking the route.

June half term...Lake district camping as above. And aim for an attempt in June/July.

I'll get some more weekends in as well but that's the rough outline.

Things to do:
    Read the routechoice thread
    Read the 10000ft thread (thanks for suggesting it DT)
    Learn how to use running poles to great effect and with efficiency. I've thought about this, I have some upperbody/climbing muscles so I might as well use it to my advantage.
    Try not to become super obsessed, just mild obsession will be ok.
    Memorise all peaks
    Loose half a stone
    Build slowly
    Get back into lifting bits of metal (barbell medicine)
    Remember to do eccentric single leg squats
    Last edited by matthew; 23-06-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Adding to my list

I've come to the conclusion that next year is a bad idea. I think there is still to much uncertainty with the potential for a sudden lockdown and further restrictions to build up for 9months only to find it's suddenly kaiboshed. It's a tough choice but mentally I think trying to plan all the logistics whilst following guidelines (such as they are), and then having the stress of it potentially being cancelled are just a bit much.

Maybe I'll try some of that racing malarky instead...

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that next year is a bad idea. I think there is still to much uncertainty with the potential for a sudden lockdown and further restrictions to build up for 9months only to find it's suddenly kaiboshed. It's a tough choice but mentally I think trying to plan all the logistics whilst following guidelines (such as they are), and then having the stress of it potentially being cancelled are just a bit much.

Maybe I'll try some of that racing malarky instead...
    right now, speculating about next year, i'd say racing is looking less likely/realistic than recceing and doing the BGR. your plan looks good. you won't need to aim to lose 1/2 stone in weight, as the training you will be doing should get you fit and strong regardless. i wouldn't say trekking poles are necessary - most do it without don't they? (i've never used poles.)