Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Fellrunners’ thread

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    there's a thread on the race here:
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...inog-Horseshoe
    (one of the delights of the FRA Forum, when it used to be full of fell runners)
    and aan account of the race here:
    https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...inog-Horseshoe
    you shopuld be able to work out the route from that....
    Thank you. I note some comments in that thread that confirm my experience from many years earlier (I think it was 1989): a warning not to attempt the direct route from Fawr to Fach, and the comment ". . . beware of the famed Rhinog heather - once off the path anywhere in these mountains then it's deep crevice like heather covered rock".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I'm coming over all tearful just thinking about the Rhinogs, if you think the race route is tough try YTDs Meirionnydd round which has the full glory of the whole Rhinogs and a little more besides.
    Unfortunately few have braved an attempt, which is a great shame at it is a wonderful round. There is a thread on here somewhere in the past, from fell runners enjoyed such challenges.
    https://www.gofar.org.uk/meirionnydd-round
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Super Moderator
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'm sizing up a Leventon Line later in the year, which traverses similarly unfrequented southern Snowdonia territory, although not the Rhinogs themselves.

I did the Rhinogs race once before it succumbed. I suspect my experiences are recounted in the aforementioned threads. It was a highlight of my racing career. It was also a highlight of my Dragons Back adventure enjoyed alongside a certain molehill of this parish!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Thank you. I note some comments in that thread that confirm my experience from many years earlier (I think it was 1989): a warning not to attempt the direct route from Fawr to Fach, and the comment ". . . beware of the famed Rhinog heather - once off the path anywhere in these mountains then it's deep crevice like heather covered rock".
    Did the Karrimor on the Rhinogs and concur, very tough terrain.

Lockdown on Skye has been a strange experience. Like a 4 month Sunday. Just like the '50s' some folk said. Im glad I wasn't around then. I've been bored out my head! Have managed to keep 'running' as usual pretty much though. The Trotternish Ridge is 2 miles away so I've been along there often, the Storr, Quiraing etc and have done the full ridge a few times. I've been working as normal as a CPN so have neen doing socially distanced home visits around my patch-North Skye. This always gives me the opportunity to get up some stuff in my lunch break. 60 minute run then quick wash down with babywipes before trundling onto the next visit. Im very lucky I suppose. Our BnB has been shafted ither than a few key workers. The plus sife of rhat is I've more time at the weekends and have been trying to get my 18 year old son up ss many hils as possible before he leaves in September for Uni in Edinburgh. He's never shown any interest in the outdoors other than sailing before so I'm doing as much walking as possible with him. Today we did Garbh Bhein and Belig, we dis Bruach na Frithe via Sgurr Basteir, and Blaven the last 3 weeks. Hoping to do all the Cuillin tops over the summer. The races I help organise, TRR and Glamaig were cancelled and there's nothing on the calendar till September. My race in the Faroes for my 50th was cancelled too. We're just seeing a trickle of visitors back here now. I was stuck in my first tourist convoy today and witnessed some truly terrible tourist driving in Portree today so things are getting back to normal,thank God!

5 miles, 61 minutes, 955ft
    First run up and around Billinge Woods for some time. Rough under foot at the moment. The rain has exposed a lot of rubble and the washed away surface mulch has formed lots of sticky pools.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

7 miles 2,200 feet on one of my favourite routes in the black mountains. The waun fach race route. Absolutely gorgeous and it felt so good to be moving in high places again. A bit rusty on first ascent but then got going nicely. Top day!

Super Moderator
    Thanks for posting Wheeze. I’m blooming injured, limited to short walks on grass and missing being out properly
    Poacher turned game-keeper