Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunners’ thread

I see. Have raced the Kentmere Horseshoe, and i love the "Far Eastern Fells".

I've got three Wainwrights left to complete the lot, and two weeks tomorrow i'll be starting out from the A6 to finish them off... two of them being Grey Crag and Tarn Crag...

This is getting a bit Lakes centric - nothing wrong with the lakes, my Granny was from Kendal, but lets hear it a bit for Wales. Whats happened to Yannis? Would love to do one of his races - Arennig for instance. Did the Cadair Idris race last year and really enjoyed it. Great atmosphere in Dolgellau. Has anyone done Robell Fawr - I've always fancied that as well. Only 30 hills to do and I will have completed all 235 Welsh hills over 2000ft. Was hoping to complete this year, but not so sure now. Still, its been a 46year journey so no rush.

Arenig Fawr is a great race. Incredibly tough for the distance, and that was a day of perfect visibility. On a day of zero visibility it would be almost impossible! Proper race.

There's a guy from Eryri Harriers who i raced hell-for-leather on the final descent. His line was better and he beat me by about 10 seconds. I don't know his name, but every time i see him at a race, he just shouts "Arenig" at me... quite a shock when i arrived on Snowdon summit at Peris one year to be confronted by a marshall bellowing "Arenig" at me as i gasped for breath!

Rhobell Fawr is also a very good race. Out and back. 1st half of climb up along a valley track, 2nd half of the climb is along the wall on open fell. Come back the way you went out. Just about all runnable if you're fit enough. Incredibly fast descent.

Very exposed to the elements on the top. Not precipitously steep or anything, but very open. The year i did it (2018?) it was ferocious on the top, i turned at the cairn and could barely make headway back down to the fell wall!
    Last edited by Travs; 03-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I see. Have raced the Kentmere Horseshoe, and i love the "Far Eastern Fells".

I've got three Wainwrights left to complete the lot, and two weeks tomorrow i'll be starting out from the A6 to finish them off... two of them being Grey Crag and Tarn Crag...
    Make sure you have your snorkel with you - it will be wet!

Which is the final one to mop up that day?

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    Make sure you have your snorkel with you - it will be wet!

Which is the final one to mop up that day?

Pavey Ark (would you believe)

Not the most logical three fells to link together in a run, but will make an exciting day... A6-Grey-Tarn-Gatesgarth-NanBield-Threshthwaite-Kirkstone-Dunmail-Calf Crag-PaveyArk-Ullscarf-HighTove-Keswick.

Working off an 11 hour schedule. If i can hit that about right it will give me confidence for something slightly longer a couple of weeks later. Should be an interesting day anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Whats happened to Yannis? Would love to do one of his races - Arennig for instance.
    He's handed Arenig over to someone else.

The Black Mountains race was the only one I have ever DNF'd. It's a tough old beast, despite not really looking like it! I'd done reccies and everything!
    ....it's all downhill from here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Mole View Post
    He's handed Arenig over to someone else.

The Black Mountains race was the only one I have ever DNF'd. It's a tough old beast, despite not really looking like it! I'd done reccies and everything!
    Black Mountains is certainly tough. Was the first AL i ever did.

I was talking about this race with someone this afternoon... i rate Black Mountains in poor weather as a tougher proposition than Borrowdale... lack of other runners, remoteness, nav issues.

Black Mountains are the only hills I've got to do in south Wales to complete the 2000' and then moving north the Radnor Forest.

Banned
    I thought Yiannis gave that up?
    It always struggled for Marshall’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Arenig Fawr is a great race. Incredibly tough for the distance, and that was a day of perfect visibility. On a day of zero visibility it would be almost impossible! Proper race.

There's a guy from Eryri Harriers who i raced hell-for-leather on the final descent. His line was better and he beat me by about 10 seconds. I don't know his name, but every time i see him at a race, he just shouts "Arenig" at me... quite a shock when i arrived on Snowdon summit at Peris one year to be confronted by a marshall bellowing "Arenig" at me as i gasped for breath!

Rhobell Fawr is also a very good race. Out and back. 1st half of climb up along a valley track, 2nd half of the climb is along the wall on open fell. Come back the way you went out. Just about all runnable if you're fit enough. Incredibly fast descent.

Very exposed to the elements on the top. Not precipitously steep or anything, but very open. The year i did it (2018?) it was ferocious on the top, i turned at the cairn and could barely make headway back down to the fell wall!

"I thought Yiannis gave that up?"
    Try reading the previous posts.
    You know, like you say other people should.