Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fellrunners’ thread

Wharfedale is God’s country for sure Matt

Good to see you back DT. Always enjoyed your contributions.

Whats yours and Wharfee's view on the current lack of grouse? Only saw one family in the whole of todays run.

Master
    Great a breath of fresh air thanks DT.

I am still getting out on the fells although not suprisingly my mileage etc is down, only covered 1012 (slowish) miles with 99,338 ft of ascent since Feb but hey ho I am lucky to live where I do.

Several of those miles were to retrieve food stashes that I had placed for use on an extended Solo/Self supported Bimble on the fells which I intended starting the begining of May ,never mind all being well there is next year.

How about yourself all going well for you and yours I hope
    Last edited by JohnK; 21-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Super Moderator
    Thanks for your posts

Matt tbh I don’t take a huge amount of interest in grouse but there are loads of curlew, oystercatcher, lapwing, skylark etc about still over Haworth way

Stef and I are doing quite a bit of walking and running atm. Yesterday was day 90 of the streak I started at the beginning of lockdown
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    Wharfedale is God’s country for sure Matt

Good to see you back DT. Always enjoyed your contributions.

Whats yours and Wharfee's view on the current lack of grouse? Only saw one family in the whole of todays run.
    The last time I cycled through a grouse moor, about a month ago, I didn't see or hear a single Red grouse.
    The only reason they're usually in abundance is because they're "farmed" - predator control/medicated grit/heather burning.
    Not sure why they appear to be in lower numbers this year - perhaps the gamekeepers are leaving the birds of prey to do what they do, instead of destroying them?

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    The last time I cycled through a grouse moor, about a month ago, I didn't see or hear a single Red grouse.
    The only reason they're usually in abundance is because they're "farmed" - predator control/medicated grit/heather burning.
    Not sure why they appear to be in lower numbers this year - perhaps the gamekeepers are leaving the birds of prey to do what they do, instead of destroying them?
    Wow careful! This isn't entirely fellrunning related, stay on topic otherwise it'll descend into chaos.
    I nearly ran out in Simonside, Northumberland (which is actually God's county) yesterday, but the littlest bairn had a temperature, an ended up having a Covid test so now we are isolating! But I'm looking forward to my next run so much!

Super Moderator
    Hope the bairn improves quickly and you can get out fellrunning again soon mathew
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by wharfeego View Post
    The last time I cycled...,
    I’m sorry, I’m going to have to pick you up on using the word ‘cycled’ on a fell running thread 😉

I haven’t seen many grouse either this year but, in addition to oyster catchers, lapwings and curlews in spades, I’ve seen lots of golden plover, many more I think than in previous years.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Hope the bairn improves quickly and you can get out fellrunning again soon mathew
    Just got a negative test result back... so might go out this evening if the weather holds!

Sadly the first 6 weeks of lockdown were spent on the bike because of plantar fasciitis. Thankfully that worked and I'm back to my normal running now (Max pulse 140). Ventured out and about on local hills whilst gazing wistfully at the Black Mountains in the distance. However, the 5 mile rule is being relaxed soon and a trip for a run to somewhere high is on the cards this weekend!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thought I'd venture onto the Forum, just in case... and yay! Derby Tup's posted. Great to hear from you Andrew.

No running for me these days, but getting out into the hills all the same. Should've been marshalling at the DazH race at the weekend, so pretty sad to miss that.