Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favourite bird seen fellrunning

Favourite bird seen fellrunning

I love a lapwing, there's something quite marvellous about them. They really are a lovely creature. The connection with hares is also a grand thing

"Lapwings sometimes ‘repurpose’ hare’s open air ‘forms’—a shallow scraping that hares shelter in. Sometimes droppings or even the hare itself would lie alongside the eggs, or an egg-collector would disturb a hare as they discovered a nest. From this, a belief arose that the hares laid the eggs, and so the idea of the Easter bunny could in fact be a combination of a hare and a lapwing!" from Cambrian Wildwood.org

Super Moderator
    Maybe a skylark
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Brilliant. Get loads of lapwings round here (Cartmel peninsula) rescued an injured one a few months back. Didn’t know about the link with hares, great info. Curlew abound n all. Kingfisher, barn owls, osprey, peregrine, green woodpecker (yafflin like hell lately)all local inhabitants...Saw a black redstart this year, second time I’ve ever seen one. Little owl on a fence post near Hampsfell tother week n all... beaut.

It's always good to see a Short-Eared Owl up on the moors, but not seen one yet this year.

Super Moderator
    Not sure if we’ve seen SEO this year but did see a barn owl at the weekend
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Probably curlews for me. Their songs are the soundtrack to my running summers.

They were making a right racket last week when I ran Flash - Axe Edge - Burbage Edge, Noel. I'm sure you know the routes! Lapwings too.

Think I'd always associate lapwings, curlews as well as grouse as proper fell-running birds; but I'd probably opt for the cuckoo. It's still an elusive sight for me, but their call on the open moorland is magnificent.

Red Kite for me. Fortunate to see loads around Skipton & Ilkley.

Red Kite for me too. Seeing them makes me stop and gaze as they glide effortlessly. They are all over here (Oxfordshire) and a common sight above our garden.