Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite bird seen fellrunning

Saw my first ever goldcrest earlier this year. Tiny!

Buzzards used to be quite rare in the east but they've been moving across country over the last twenty to thirty years. There's a pair that nest in the valley below us and we'll often see them soaring - until the crows start to mob them.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Haven't seen my friend's ex wife for a while.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Haven't seen my friend's ex wife for a while.
    I'm impressed we made it to the 3rd page before females were mentioned!!

I'd been tempted to mention a particularly nice Mercia Fellrunner I raced against a couple of years ago... never seen her at a race since (unfortunately).

Didn't want to risk causing offence.

Talking of offence, did any else see that Billy Bland/Never Mind The Bollocks/Kong Keswick advert on the Facebook page...?

Whilst I can possibly understand they deemed it unsuitable for the FRA Mag, I found it pretty unbelievable that people on the facebook page were openly expressing offence at it... what a bunch of Mary-Ann's

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'm impressed we made it to the 3rd page before females were mentioned!!

I'd been tempted to mention a particularly nice Mercia Fellrunner I raced against a couple of years ago... never seen her at a race since (unfortunately).

Didn't want to risk causing offence.

Talking of offence, did any else see that Billy Bland/Never Mind The Bollocks/Kong Keswick advert on the Facebook page...?

Whilst I can possibly understand they deemed it unsuitable for the FRA Mag, I found it pretty unbelievable that people on the facebook page were openly expressing offence at it... what a bunch of Mary-Ann's
    I saw it... were they offended that they’d censored to great man’s nads? Maybe they felt a man as great should be allowed to show of his cajones without any worry

I was expecting a "Julia Bradbury" from somewhere
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    TBH I can`t say I have seen a bird actually fellrunning (except for a few quick strides before taking flight), however when I am out running I do like to see a Goldfinch and a Yellowhammer and when running in Scotland my favourite bird to spot has to be a Capercallie
    Last edited by JohnK; 01-07-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

We have plenty of red kite around here but they're still brilliant birds.
    There's also a seasonal flock of golden plover on my local hill, which are always a joy.
    But my favourite is the stonechat. The males are jolly fellows and their call is so distinctive.

Can't say I've a favourite bird seen whilst fell running but I have enjoyed unexpected sightings including a Ring Ouzel on Burbage Edge and last year a number of Chough on both Anglesey Mountain and the Wales Coastal Path between Borth and Aberystwyth.

Not fell running but currently I am enjoying the song of skylarks almost daily whilst out walking/running locally.
    I can never understand those who run off road in the countryside with ear plugs in. They are missing so much.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Yes, loads of choughs between Borth and Aber. Also seen the between Aberdyfi and Tywyn, but up from the road.
    First Ring Ouzel coming off the southern end of Mallerstang after an overnight camp on top.

Lots of choughs out on the Lleyn. I was writing a climbing guide to part of Snowdonia and had to check about bird nesting restrictions and ended up chatting to Iolo Williams, now of Spring/autumn watch, as he was the RSPB warden for the area. There was one inland crag they used as a roost so rather than the usual calendar period, 1st March to 1st July sort of thing, the restriction is from an hour before sunset to an hour after sunrise.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back