Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking the round

Walking the round

Hi . My first forum post .

Having pondered with attempting the round for many years and recently been hampered with constant calf injuries , I’m not confident I can run train without injury. So , is it possible to walk the round in 24 hour or attempt the round with limited amount of running . I am aware it has been done once,( Billy Bland?) but is it realistic

I have no issues when walking , but over the last 3 years I haven’t ran over 10k and not gone more the 3 month withought having to stop for weeks with calf pulls . I’m now 43 and having had a good innings in various endurance sports through my 20’s and 30’s The burning desire to sign off with the big one is still an ambition of mine . Thought would be welcomed

Super Moderator
    Welcome saints. Billy Bland was one of the best fellrunners ever. I’ve always thought a sub 30 walk would be a very good outing for a ‘mortal’. I can’t remember who told me but a rough split walking to running on a 24 hour BG is 6 hours running : 18 walking. I think sub-24 walking is a very big ask; huge in fact, but you never know unless you try. Good luck if you do have a go. I’d say you’d need very good conditions to stand any kind of chance and no nav issues
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 29-06-2020 at 12:15 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Having had to give up running a few years ago, I wondered if I could do a V60 Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge in the permitted 18 hours, walking all the way. It turned out I could keep to the schedule on all of the legs (I'm a pretty fast walker).

However, the Joss is about 77km / 5200m whereas the BG is about 105km / 8200m. Extrapolating my times for the BG would've made it about 27 hours. I'd say you'd have to walk VERY fast to do a sub-24 BG.

Thanks for the reply’s . Some interesting points.
    Given my situation at the moment It would most certainly be a walk . Perhaps I should leave the watch at home and set off , see what happens with no concern for time.
    Interesting on the potential Run/ Walk splits , this gives my some confidence that if, between now and next year I can get back to some running , then maybe I could set out for the 24 hour target . I suspect I would most certainly need a lot of luck with condition.
    Thanks

Super Moderator
    Sadly this forum is a shadow of what it used to be but for the time being there is still a huge amount of info relating to recceing, training and route choices. The 10,000 feet per week and route choice threads are good places to start

One thing is do have on my side is familiarity of the route . I have been over the route both running and walking for the past 10 yrs . In that time I’ve had two kids and recently hampered with injury hence never being able to have a crack. On two occasions I’ve been 3 and 5 months into my programme when I’ve succumb to injury. ( perineal tendinitis 12months out) and a sequestration oif a disk ( another 12 months out) since having those injury’s it’s been constant calf issues .

I’m confident that on a clear day I could go peak to peak without a map . So I have something to work with . Unfortunately I don’t have the body to get me to point to point by running at least.

I have a gander at the route options and I can see some interesting alterations than what I would normally take so found for thought .

The only major route option I was really concerned with was the accent of Scafell . I had it in my mind to use the foxes tarn route as apposed to the lords rake. I had ruled out broad stand .
    Other than that my route is sorted in my mind but always open to suggestions so I will read on

Thanks

Could you "freewheel" the descents, not running per se, but just jogging or flowing downhill - that could gain you some time over walking and may actually be easier on your body than the constant resistance of holding back while walking downhill. Of course I don't know your situation so I may be wrong, but..?

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    (I'm a pretty fast walker)
    This is very true.

Super Moderator
    iirc isn’t there some reference to Billy getting hurt ‘holding back’ when walking the BG. I think a degree of free wheeling would be necessary to walk round in under 24 hours
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 30-06-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    iirc isn’t there some reference to Billy getting hurt ‘holding back’ when walking the BG. I think a degree of free wheeling would be necessary to walk round in under 24 hours
    Yes... in FITC he says it's one of the only times he got injured, due to holding back going downhill.