Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walking the round

Billy's walk was when he supported Gavin Bland on his Round in 1989.

There's a news piece attached to Gavin's ratification form: "Quick Stroll for Bill" from which:

Billy Bland of Borrowdale decided to chalk up 42 Lakeland summits to match his 42 years.
    But Billy wasn't chasing records when he set out last weekend. He was just out for a "walk' - like Bob Graham - taking his 17 year old nephew Gavin along with him. Billy's walking pace is a little faster than most(!) - which is why he and Gavin were back in Keswick in 20hrs58mins, a fast time by any standard. According to watchers on the fells he never so much as broke into a jog.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

That is simply phenomenal. On both counts, a 17yr old lad and the walking time . Just out of curiosity. Has he every published his route? Was it Clockwise or anti clockwise ? Not that it would a blind bit of difference for me but I’d be interested to see it.

The freewheeling sounds a good idea something I will perhaps give a go when I’m next on the fells. Hopefully in the next few weeks

They went anti-clockwise.

There have been two sixteen year olds and one thirteen year old to have done the round. Gavin is one of four seventeen year olds.
    Bob

Solid base training to become a British/English champion and hold long-term race records.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

The anti clockwise is becoming more appealing to me . A seemingly less aggressive start and no assent of Yewbarrow is selling it . Each time I have done Yewbarrow I swore it will be the last hahaha. I have not yet recced the langdale leg that way so I’ll have to check that out on a . This way would still give me the option of leg 4 in the dark which is my preference slowing for a early morning start . Food for thought

Super Moderator
    I like the old cricket cliche about what to do after you’ve won the toss. Nine times out of ten you bat; the tenth you have a think about bowling, then choose to bat

Have a think about anti-clockwise then plan a clockwise round is my advice

Regarding Yewbarrow a very good fellrunner said to me go over to Wasdale early on in your preparation and make peace with the mountain. Get to know the climb and get your head round it. 50 mins (from memory a typical split for a c/w schedule), is a good length of time if you’re still in decent shape. The views on a clear day are amazing
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Some very wise advice . Appreciated .

In terms of Yewbarrow , is there a significant time difference in going up the road and taking the walkers route up the nose of Yewbarrow ? From the drive in it appears less steep and a clear path .
    Im aware it’s not the preferred choice so i guess that answers my question .

I’m heading up to the langdales on a Sunday so gonna try a bit of plodding / walking see how I go .

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I like the old cricket cliche about what to do after you’ve won the toss. Nine times out of ten you bat; the tenth you have a think about bowling, then choose to bat

Have a think about anti-clockwise then plan a clockwise round is my advice

Regarding Yewbarrow a very good fellrunner said to me go over to Wasdale early on in your preparation and make peace with the mountain. Get to know the climb and get your head round it. 50 mins (from memory a typical split for a c/w schedule), is a good length of time if you’re still in decent shape. The views on a clear day are amazing
    I'm personally not adverse to an anti-clockwise round.

There's a very slim chance that the opportunity to "squeeze a round in" in September might arise. Although it is a massive 2nd on my priority list, hopefully the prospect of some races returning will knock it right off the list.

Admittedly if it did happen i'd probably do it clockwise due to the days/times in which i'll be in the Lakes, as an evening start would be preferable on this occasion. However if it was more convenient to start in the morning then i'd not be discounting an A/CW round.

I think the wealth of knowledge of the C/W makes it preferable for most.

I am certainly happy to listen to Derby Tup and those with more experience though...

Super Moderator
    Sneaking in a round in September would make up for a really frustrating year Travs. What sort of approach are you considering ie solo, lightweight with say one supporter per leg, or a more ‘social approach? I’d guess the middle one

Bob will have stats but there have been many more cw attempts than acw in the last day 15 to 20 years. The ‘knowledge’ is in that direction; the route optimised in terms of best lines etc
    Poacher turned game-keeper

True enough Andy. The scores on the doors for the years 2000 to 2019 are ...

Clockwise: 1119
    anticlockwise: 90

There's only been one year (2006) in that period with double figures going anticlockwise. Prior to 1988 most went anticlockwise, after 1991 most went clockwise but anticlockwise held its own until the turn of the millenium.

Success rates are a bit different (these are only for 2013 to 2019), successes/registered attempts:

Cw: 593/952 (62%)
    Acw: 22/48 (46%)
    Bob