Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walking the round

Super Moderator
    Cw: 593/952 (62%)
    Acw: 22/48 (46%)

Is really interesting. Thanks Bob!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    True enough Andy. The scores on the doors for the years 2000 to 2019 are ...

Clockwise: 1119
    anticlockwise: 90

There's only been one year (2006) in that period with double figures going anticlockwise. Prior to 1988 most went anticlockwise, after 1991 most went clockwise but anticlockwise held its own until the turn of the millenium.

Success rates are a bit different (these are only for 2013 to 2019), successes/registered attempts:

Cw: 593/952 (62%)
    Acw: 22/48 (46%)
    Bob

In 1000 words* - why did it change?

(*or less if the answer is simple!).

Graham
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-07-2020 at 09:06 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Dunno*.

Genuinely don't know. I've tried to see if there's any correlation anywhere but there just doesn't seem to be any. DPFR started going clockwise about four years after the general change, in fact the top ten clubs all switched around then. Cumberland Fell Runners were almost all ACW until 1990 and almost all CW since then but the numbers aren't enough to cause a trend.

Interestingly the ladies stuck with ACW until around 2010, the men basically gave up on ACW in the mid 1990s, i.e. the overall "crash" was held off because of the ladies continuing with ACW.

*What do I do with the other 999? They are just clogging up my keyboard
    Last edited by Bob; 08-07-2020 at 09:21 PM.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Fantastic info, and thank you for providing them .

CW is the preferred option clearly ( we are all traditionalist at heart!)

I wonder why the completion rate is less so on the AC route assuming most folk drop out at wasdale on the CW and Threlkeld on the AC route ? ( only my assumption ) is halls fell seen from many mile away more mentally challenging than Yewbarrow hence the better % on CW

Super Moderator
    Don’t underestimate the effect of descending Steel Fell to Dunmail and then climbing back up the other side on an acw round. Steel fell cw isn’t that bad after a morale-boosting trot down followed by a bacon butty. My guess is a lot of acw attempts flounder long before Threlkeld
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Dunno*.

Genuinely don't know. I've tried to see if there's any correlation anywhere but there just doesn't seem to be any. DPFR started going clockwise about four years after the general change, in fact the top ten clubs all switched around then. Cumberland Fell Runners were almost all ACW until 1990 and almost all CW since then but the numbers aren't enough to cause a trend.

Interestingly the ladies stuck with ACW until around 2010, the men basically gave up on ACW in the mid 1990s, i.e. the overall "crash" was held off because of the ladies continuing with ACW.

*What do I do with the other 999? They are just clogging up my keyboard
    Bob, I think there's a Doctorate in this for you.

You can start your Ph D thesis with the 999 words I've given you.

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Sneaking in a round in September would make up for a really frustrating year Travs. What sort of approach are you considering ie solo, lightweight with say one supporter per leg, or a more ‘social approach? I’d guess the middle one

Bob will have stats but there have been many more cw attempts than acw in the last day 15 to 20 years. The ‘knowledge’ is in that direction; the route optimised in terms of best lines etc
    When (and indeed if) I ever do a BG it has always been in my mind that it will be solo. Or at least very unofficial. I don't really have any desire to join the club, and I'd rather just pick a date and go out and do it. Although one or two people have offered to run legs with me.

I know it sounds a little disrespectful, like not being taken seriously, but if I do go for it, I'll have put in the miles, I know the vast majority of the route, although I've not necessarily been round all of it in the correct direction.

I've got a 35ish mile outing in a couple of weeks. If I hit schedule on that then a couple of weeks later have something longer planned. If that went to schedule then I'd feel completely confident to give the BG a go... However I have stuff planned for much later in the year and would have to seriously consider if a BG would jeopardise me physically for that...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    When (and indeed if) I ever do a BG it has always been in my mind that it will be solo. Or at least very unofficial. I don't really have any desire to join the club, and I'd rather just pick a date and go out and do it. Although one or two people have offered to run legs with me.

I know it sounds a little disrespectful, like not being taken seriously, but if I do go for it, I'll have put in the miles, I know the vast majority of the route, although I've not necessarily been round all of it in the correct direction.

I've got a 35ish mile outing in a couple of weeks. If I hit schedule on that then a couple of weeks later have something longer planned. If that went to schedule then I'd feel completely confident to give the BG a go... However I have stuff planned for much later in the year and would have to seriously consider if a BG would jeopardise me physically for that...
    The bracken is grim enough at the moment - I hate to think what it will be like in a month's time.

Yes that is also a consideration, having been up over my head a few times in Shropshire last weekend. My route (for example on Leg 1) would certainly factor this in.

As I say its only a slim possibility and I've got other priorities and ambitions this year which take preference.

To go back to the original topic, I certainly wouldn't be walking the entire round!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Don’t underestimate the effect of descending Steel Fell to Dunmail and then climbing back up the other side on an acw round. Steel fell cw isn’t that bad after a morale-boosting trot down followed by a bacon butty. My guess is a lot of acw attempts flounder long before Threlkeld
    It's always seemed to me that worst climbs come ACW:

Scafell from Wasdale is, for me, much worse than Yewbarrow.
    As DT says, down SF and up Seat Sandal seems worse than vice versa.
    Having done leg 3 ACW, I found the slog across Martcrag up to Pike o' Stickle a right bastard. And the Bowfell descent can be tricky nav-wise.
    Halls Fell towards the end of the round - there's nothing like that after Yewbarrow on a CW round. And you've just had to descend Clough Head.

Bar the preferable start time and not having the big climb to Clough Head, I reckon CW is the 'easier' option (hohoho).
    Geoff Clarke