Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I've always thought they are neck-and-neck for time, but as you approach the meet-up point downhill off Esk Pike, you feel fresher. Depends what you like though... i'd much prefer an easy climb then descent to an awkward traverse...

Bad Step... to the left for me!
    Right! Shallow gully due west from the checkpoint - if visibility good aim for Slight Side - tourist path appears under your feet - follow to the left - look back and see those queuing above the Bad Step ...

Bad Step... to the left for me!
    The traverse right on the edge of the crag? I always wimp out and go off to the right 😂

Though I should try up and over Esk Piks next time I do the route rather than the slutchy traverse. It will be really bad at the moment after all the rain.

Bit like on Borrowdale I think it’s easier to go up Brandreth on the BGR line rather than the traverse off to the east

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    The traverse right on the edge of the crag? I always wimp out and go off to the right ��
    That's the one!

Next time I do Borrowdale i'm thinking about flipping it completely and traversing out to the west of Brandreth on faster ground… on the "usual" eastern route it seems a bit rougher and a bit of a climb anyway.? Whichever way, I don't think there's more than a couple of hundred metres in it...

Master
    Though I should try up and over Esk Piks next time I do the route rather than the slutchy traverse. It will be really bad at the moment after all the rain.

Bit like on Borrowdale I think it’s easier to go up Brandreth on the BGR line rather than the traverse off to the east
    If you go over Esk Pike, those who were around you when you left Esk Hause shelter will rejoin you as you come down to Ore Gap, but 1/ the route over is so much nicer and 2/ they are knackered, you are fresh.

Agreed... I rejoined the "crocodile" (it was a champs day when I did it) within about 15 seconds of where I was when I split to go over...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If you go over Esk Pike, those who were around you when you left Esk Hause shelter will rejoin you as you come down to Ore Gap, but 1/ the route over is so much nicer and 2/ they are knackered, you are fresh.
    Cool - going to give it a go next time I am mooching round Langdale 😎

That's the one!

Next time I do Borrowdale i'm thinking about flipping it completely and traversing out to the west of Brandreth on faster ground… on the "usual" eastern route it seems a bit rougher and a bit of a climb anyway.? Whichever way, I don't think there's more than a couple of hundred metres in it...
    Some variant on Moses Trod would be really fast I think as it’s much easier ground. I am going to do the Borrowdale route in the next few weeks so may give that a whirl

Master
    Cool - going to give it a go next time I am mooching round Langdale ��
    And you do not have to go over the very top - there is a neat little grassy trod around to the right just before the final ascent.

I can picture it - the summit area has a kind of shelf to it as you approach from Esk Hause. Thanks Mike 👍🏼