Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Those were the days

Anthony I remember seeing you on the summit of Fan Fawr near the end of that race. I hadn't seen you since the start, but knew you were a runner of some repute, and thought you must have pulled out some genius short-cut somewhere in the first half of the race, finished, and then taken a walk back up to the final summit... Was disappointing to find out you'd actually had to dnf..!

Hey Anthony, your early days sound very familiar! As a dyspraxic, severely asthmatic (hence the nickname) kid, I was the last pick for the school kick about. But I loved Cubs and scouts and the outdoors and would spend hours poring over OS maps and imagining the landscapes. Rugby was my initial salvation which built my strength and coordination until I discovered running. I always felt that the years of struggling to breathe as a kid gave me well developed respiratory muscles. I always had a great "engine".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anthony I remember seeing you on the summit of Fan Fawr near the end of that race. I hadn't seen you since the start, but knew you were a runner of some repute, and thought you must have pulled out some genius short-cut somewhere in the first half of the race, finished, and then taken a walk back up to the final summit... Was disappointing to find out you'd actually had to dnf..!
    That would have been quite a feat for a M60, even with superior navigation, getting that far ahead of you!
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Started running in 2002 in a bid to lose weight. Was 16 stone and bone idle. My wife was trying to shed some post baby flab and challenged me to a 10k. God, I couldn't do 2 minutes. Started running in the dark, running between lampposts and walking the next set. After a few months it started paying off. Did a few big 10k s in Edinburgh then up to marathons within a year. Absolutely hated marathons!The total focus on minute mile splits etc. What I did enjoy was the training. Was living in East Lothian and started running on the beaches, hills and forests. I had no idea hill running was a thing! Joined a club HELP and met Brian Marshall and George Armstrong, both of whom really inspired me and filled my head with tales if hill races and adventure. Moved ri Skye in 2006 and started racing. Middle of the pack but loved everything about it. Have done all the big ones and loads of small things. Have won three times. Balmacara hill race 07/08/09!Very sma field and everyone else got lost! My racing highlights. Nowadays I luke to do 2 or 3 races a year, run 5 times a week and organise a few local races. Neil Turner.

Inspirational!

Quote Originally Posted by biaraV2 View Post
    First London was done with chicken pox, managed to hide that from parents but struggled but at least I got 2 weeks off school afterwards.
    Blummin' Eck Ian, how old were you?
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Blummin' Eck Ian, how old were you?
    18, in upper sixth and running for Great Ormond Street Hospital. Felt a bit naff but wore tracksuit until the last minute and every time I saw my parents ran on opposite side of road 'by accident' so they didn't realise. My brother ran with me and basically pulled me round in just under 5 hours. He gave me it anyway as he'd come home from uni with it 2 weeks earlier!!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    That would have been quite a feat for a M60, even with superior navigation, getting that far ahead of you!
    Yes admittedly it was unlikely... although it was a tough race and a hot day... my brain didn't have the capacity to work out you must have retired!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    That would be absolute stupidity... everyone knows it's better to go over!

(or is this going to lead to the biggest argument in forum history!)
    Over, without question!

My route into fell running was via fell walking. I remember my first climb in the lakes at the age of 9 was Glaramara, Allen crags and Great End in the clag and I still loved it. Used to come for years afterwards with my Dad and do day trips and weekends. I used to live in Guisborough on the edge of the NYM so plenty to keep me amused when it was not possible to get over. At school I was an okay runner but preferred road biking. Then when I hit 18 wine, women and song got me and it was only the walking that I kept up. In my early thirties was when I started to run doing training in the NYM and building up to coming to the lakes. Also at this time did a lot of road running as I was living in York and was in a club. My fell first race was Tom’s race in Bransdale. Always preferred training and being out to racing - done some of the classics Langdale, Borrowdale and the Three Peaks a few times. Also done a fair few trail races such as the Scafell Pike Marathon and Hardmoors marathons.